1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

AC Compressor Bearing

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2023 | 05:45 PM
bronze
|
Record Breaker
Default AC Compressor Bearing

1993 Dodge Dakota LE, 5.2L, Auto A518, RWD, 186,000 miles, Original owner

I have some squeaky squeak coming out the front of engine. A pulley no doubt. Occurs after starting truck and seems to disappear in a couple minutes. Thinking it might be the AC compressor bearing. Not likely to be idler, power steering, or alternator cuz they’re not that old. I suppose it could be the fan pulley but I put a new water pump on some 12 years ago. Don’t know if that included a new pully/bearing. Tried a stethascope but it all sounds the same to me.

I can take the serpentine belt off and spin that AC pulley to see what happens but I’m thinking if I turn on the AC the squeak will go away? Just guessing. Haven’t tried doing that yet.

Am I right?

Old 08-14-2023 | 08:15 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

If it is the a/c clutch bearings, then yes, the noise should go away when the compressor engages.

Old 08-14-2023 | 10:52 AM
bronze
|
Record Breaker

Just tried it. The squeak squeak seems to be there regardless if the AC compressor is engaged or not. It's not a squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeak (constant sound). It's a squeak, squeak, squeak, squeak sound...an up and down sound curve. I'll try it again tomorrow just to be sure.

The power steering pump is 1-1/2 years old (4,600 miles).
The tensioner pulley is 7 years old (18,500 miles).
The idler is 7 years old (19,000 miles).
The alternator is 8 years old (20,500 miles).
The water pump is 10-1/2 years old (31,000 miles).

I loosened the drive belt and tried wiggling the fan to see if I could detect any play on that water pump pulley. None. Tight as a witch's weenie. Not seeing any anti freeze leaks. I suspect if that noise is coming from the water pump pulley then this squeak squeak is just a preview and it will be a little more time before it gets worse.

I guess my action plan is to do nothing unless or until this squeak squeak gets worse. If anyone has any other things I should check then I'm all ears. For the record, I'm sensitive to any pulley noise. It was 7 years ago on I-95 on July 3 the idler pulley failed near a tiny town called Yemassee, SC. The drive belt broke, wrapped itself around the upper radiator hose, and ripped the neck out of the radiator. That cost me a tow and radiator replacement not to mention I was getting a Deliverance vibe in that town (turned out they were good people albeit quiet). Overall it was not a good day so I prefer to prevent that from happening again.

Old 08-14-2023 | 11:56 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Try spraying a bit of belt dressing on the belt. If the squeak goes away, it's just dirt in the grooves.

Old 08-14-2023 | 12:02 PM
bronze
|
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Try spraying a bit of belt dressing on the belt. If the squeak goes away, it's just dirt in the grooves.
Good idea. Will do. The squeak noise has a longer pause between squeaks than what you'd expect if it were a bad spot on the bearing. Longer travel time, longer pause? Just a theory. Gotta pick up a can of dressing. Thx HY.

Old 08-14-2023 | 06:11 PM
onemore94dak
Champion

Originally Posted by bronze
Good idea. Will do. The squeak noise has a longer pause between squeaks than what you'd expect if it were a bad spot on the bearing. Longer travel time, longer pause? Just a theory. Gotta pick up a can of dressing. Thx HY.
I had a new belt start to squeak. I went over ever groove in every pulley with sand paper and a wire brush.It is very tedious and I was surprised how much dirt was in there.

Old 08-14-2023 | 07:22 PM
bronze
|
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by onemore94dak
I had a new belt start to squeak. I went over ever groove in every pulley with sand paper and a wire brush.It is very tedious and I was surprised how much dirt was in there.
Seems it would be less of a headache to get a new belt.

Old 08-14-2023 | 07:57 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

The pulleys collect dirt too.

Old 08-14-2023 | 08:01 PM
onemore94dak
Champion

It has not squeaked since. That is many years ago. I think back when Ralph posted bragging on the Continental belts I think it was.

Old 08-14-2023 | 10:07 PM
bronze
|
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by onemore94dak;[url=tel:3572192
3572192[/url]]It has not squeaked since. That is many years ago. I think back when Ralph posted bragging on the Continental belts I think it was.
Ha! I tried finding Gates heater hoses. Found the preformed one but not the straight one. Ended up with Continental thinking I was settling for less.

Quick Reply: AC Compressor Bearing