1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

refvving up and down

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2023, 09:56 PM
onemore94dak
Record Breaker
Received 132 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by 92Dakota3.9
i let it run for around 30 minutes ands the surging has seem to go away, but i have one for question the temp gauge is jus maxed out, after putting the new sensor in any way to diagnose that, after 5 mins of truck running its goes all the way to hot, i dont believe its over heating, and the thermostat is open
OK Disconnect the neg battery cable. Turn the key on, turn it over like you are starting it hold for a count of 30. That releases all the electricity that is still in the system. leave the cable off for 10 minutes. Reconnect it and start the motor and see what it does.
The temp gauge wire may be bunged up. I haven't seen a 92 so I'm not sure just how tight it is in there. I'm thinking of my 94 that has two temp sensors down next to the thermostat, and it is all hard to get at. One for the dash and one for the computer. It is always possible the new sensor you bought is bad off the shelf.

The following users liked this post:
92Dakota3.9 (10-23-2023)
Old 10-24-2023, 01:37 PM
onemore94dak
Record Breaker
Received 132 Likes on 124 Posts

Take a look at that other thread you posted in. I answered you there. You have two coolant temp sensors like the diagram in that thread shows. RA shows the one and two wire coolant sensor for your vehicle. So either you put the wrong new one in or need to change out the other one as well just to make sure that is covered.

The following users liked this post:
92Dakota3.9 (10-24-2023)
Old 10-24-2023, 07:11 PM
bctom
Amateur
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just dealt with this. Mine was stalling at warm up. Going from open loop during warm up to closed loop when at operating temp. Not starting again until truck cold again. Check that your radiator cap pressure relief valve is functioning properly. If not the coolant system will suck air from the smallest crack creating an air lock in the system. This will create all kinds of failures in the near future. The temp sensor must be submerged in coolant to function properly.

Quick Reply: refvving up and down