1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Odd new noise

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2024, 08:46 PM
onemore94dak
Champion
Received 132 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Gotta agree with this.... I doubt a new radiator will be much more than you are going to spend repairing yours.....
The cheapest is $106 https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...,radiator,2172

I used to make a living welding, even took two years college classes for it. I think I might be able to fix it at the price of $54 for the rods flux and 2 gallons of coolant. I'm pretty sure the oxy/acetylene tanks are full enough to do this. If not lesson learned and I'll have to find another place to cut back so I can pay for something else. With any luck things will get warmer soon and food will start coming up in the garden.

Old 05-05-2024, 10:31 PM
bronze
Record Breaker
Received 425 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by onemore94dak
The cheapest is $106 https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...,radiator,2172

I used to make a living welding, even took two years college classes for it. I think I might be able to fix it at the price of $54 for the rods flux and 2 gallons of coolant. I'm pretty sure the oxy/acetylene tanks are full enough to do this. If not lesson learned and I'll have to find another place to cut back so I can pay for something else. With any luck things will get warmer soon and food will start coming up in the garden.
Got a 22 and some squirrels running around your yard?

Old 05-06-2024, 09:54 AM
onemore94dak
Champion

Originally Posted by bronze
Got a 22 and some squirrels running around your yard?
Lots of crows too. But I hears they aint such good eatin.

Old 05-07-2024, 01:35 PM
onemore94dak
Champion

Anyone got advice for removing trans cooler lines from radiator? I could not find the tool I used I bought and modified to work when I put this one in. Bought another one, modified it and it is not working. There is a lot less play than I remembered in the lines as well.
Edit-I got several sizes of the tool to go in but it just is not letting the hose come off. I have no play to push the hose toward the rad so that the tool might work better.

Last edited by onemore94dak; 05-07-2024 at 01:45 PM.
Old 05-07-2024, 03:01 PM
onemore94dak
Champion

Forgot to mention after a break I went back out and used the tool and a heavy screw driver to pry against the frame just below the trans line connector and the things came off with a bit of a fight. I plugged the tubes in the rad with a silicone cap and tied the trans hose up so they did not leak.
Okie dokie It has been a very long time since I could solder a piece of tin to a gum wrapper with an oxy/acet setup. It was a small hole and I went in too hot and blew it out. I suppose I could pinch off the tube. I'm just going to have to bite the bullet. Here is the before pic. I didn't want to show my mistake.
Any advice on what the fan clutch should feel like in hand? It seems quite stiff. I would expect it to be loose when it is cool and I have it off the truck.

Last edited by onemore94dak; 05-07-2024 at 04:12 PM.

Quick Reply: Odd new noise