1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

New Timing Set Slack

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2024, 03:57 PM
DafokinKota
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Timing Set Slack

Hi everyone,
I have a 95 5.2l that evidently jumped a tooth with the timing set, problem I'm having (maybe it's no problem at all) is that I have fitted two new timing sets and both seem to have excessive slack between sprockets, I'm comparing it to the slack in the old set and it seems about the same and what I've read online is that a new set should be very tight and then loosen with wear. (First set is SA double roller from Rockauto, second set from the local parts store Cloyes single roller which I hear is the better brand). The slack between gear teeth is good so maybe that's all that really matters but to me it seems like with that amount of slack it could easily jump a tooth again. Appreciate any feedback before I throw this thing back together. Maybe I'll attach a video if I can't figure that out.

Old 06-16-2024, 04:59 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,266 Likes on 3,013 Posts

I installed the SA Gear double roller in my 96, and it was a LOT tighter than the 180K plus original..... There will be some slack in the chain, but, it should not be an excessive amount. (I think the spec is something like 7 degrees of crank rotation??)

Old 06-16-2024, 10:15 PM
dodgetruck2
All Star
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

Are your cam bearings getting worn? I've town some pretty high mile timing sets out that didn't seem like the slack was to bad. I put a Cloyes in my 96, it definitely wasn't tight fitting, but certainly acceptable for how they were, The old sets and new sets had to go on and off together there wasn't enough slack to slip one or the other off separately

Old 06-17-2024, 09:25 PM
DafokinKota

Yeah I guess it wasn't too bad slack wise, I got everything buttoned up and it runs like ****. I thought maybe it was out 180 so I tried flipping the distributor and wouldn't start at all so I'm completely at a loss.

Old 06-18-2024, 08:21 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Reindex the distributor first. There is a procedure for that in the service manual. (I highly recommend having one, if you don't already)

Old 06-18-2024, 01:31 PM
DafokinKota

I did, there's a detailed thread on here by carverman that I followed (no 1 TDC, line rotor up with Mark on housing...)

Old 06-18-2024, 01:47 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Bear in mind, #1 is at TDC twice for a full cycle. Once on compression, and once on Exhaust. Turn the engine to #1 TDC, verify the rotor is pointing the right direction, and both valves on number 1 are closed.

Quick Reply: New Timing Set Slack