1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

93 Dakota 5.2L LE needs an ECM

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2024, 03:07 PM
co.45
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 93 Dakota 5.2L LE needs an ECM

OK guys. My ECM smoked on me the other day. I've been looking for a replacement for it for several days with no luck. Part # is 56027848. The only ones I can find are for the 4cyl and 6cyl models. The 318 must have been either very popular, or hard on ECMs. Mine has lasted all 31 years till now. Most reconditioning shops I have checked have quit doing ODB1 modules or the don't have 56027848 available. I'm trying to avoid the ones that require you send in your core to be refurbished and sent back to you. Got burned on that method a few years back on a Ram pickup. Has anyone replaced their ECM and know of a source?

Old 06-18-2024, 03:15 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,266 Likes on 3,013 Posts

Looks like a lot of the big chain auto parts store offer them, whether they have them or not is another question.... Couple different reman brands as well. Prices are MUCH better than some of the other places I have seen as well. (most under 200 bucks.) Give you local parts store a call, see what they say.

Old 06-18-2024, 04:26 PM
bronze
Record Breaker
Received 434 Likes on 371 Posts

I also have a 1993, 5.2L Dakota. My PCM (ECM whatever we're calling it, Part No. 56027848) started wigging out around 2018. Engine would just cut out. Would have to wait anywhere from 10 minutes to an hour and it would fire back up. Frequency of cut outs increased to the point I could no longer endure it. Sent in to a refurbish joint in 2020. They said the microprocessor was going and it could not be rebuilt. I bought a refurb from them. It didn't work (truck wouldn't even turn over). Sent it back, they sent me another one. Truck fired up and it ran great. Everything worked except the voltage regulator. He told me I could send it back and try another one. I opted to keep it since it worked perfectly fine other than the dopey voltage regulator (still don't know why they put the voltage reg inside the PCM). I simply installed an external voltage regulator and bypassed the PCM (per Hey You's suggestion). It has been fine ever since.

The refurb joint I worked with was called Module Experts in Florida. I will neither recommend or not recommend them to you. I share your sentiments about rebuilders...hit or miss. But this is where I went and I am running so there's that.

I have considered getting a backup PCM. I usually find used ones on EBay (there are 3 or 4 of them listed now). You can probably find them at boneyards (Car-Part.com for example). I know RockAuto has sold refurbs..I believe from Cardone. Not a fan of Cardone and wary of rebuilds as we have mentioned. If I were to get a backup PCM it would likely be a used one that I knew was working. But these are your options.

Last edited by bronze; 06-18-2024 at 04:28 PM.
Old 06-19-2024, 08:09 PM
co.45
Amateur

I've tried all the local majors and while they list remanufactured ECM/PCM's they also show them as not available. And finding one in a wrecking yard is going to be iffy at best. I'm in the Houston area and older wrecks are most often crushed and sold for scrap. I will do the junk yard crawl as a last resort. My experiences with EBAY parts mimic those of Bronze's replay so that also is a (next to) last resort. I guess I'm just a little frustrated but eventually will break down and go the evil bay route. Thanks again for the replies. Anyone else out there with a positive report on an ECM/PCM rebuilder?

Old 06-20-2024, 02:11 AM
Jody1A
Default ECM life

Ok , so I am looking at purchasing a 80's dakota , one is a "89 with 67,000 miles, the other is a "87 with 92,00 miles . How common is it for the ECU to go out ? is it normally an age issue or a mileage issue ? thanks Jody

Old 06-20-2024, 05:29 AM
bronze
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Jody1A
Ok , so I am looking at purchasing a 80's dakota , one is a "89 with 67,000 miles, the other is a "87 with 92,00 miles . How common is it for the ECU to go out ? is it normally an age issue or a mileage issue ? thanks Jody
It could blow up tomorrow or your frame will rust out before the PCM goes out. It's a computer. They're gonna do what they're gonna do and truthfully no one can predict how long they'll last.

The following 2 users liked this post by bronze:
Jody1A (06-21-2024), tndakman (06-20-2024)
Old 06-20-2024, 11:42 AM
onemore94dak
Champion
Received 132 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by co.45
Anyone else out there with a positive report on an ECM/PCM rebuilder?
I replaced mine 3.9l through Rock Auto. No problems. I just figured it would be good and it was. I had no idea it was such a hit or miss situation out there.
As for junkyard wrecks they are likely to be OK as long as it is in there due to a crash and not because somebody got tired of fixing it.

Old 06-20-2024, 12:27 PM
bronze
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by onemore94dak
I replaced mine 3.9l through Rock Auto. No problems. I just figured it would be good and it was. I had no idea it was such a hit or miss situation out there.
As for junkyard wrecks they are likely to be OK as long as it is in there due to a crash and not because somebody got tired of fixing it.
Or the computer wigged out.

Old 06-21-2024, 07:45 AM
Jody1A

ok thanks !

Old Yesterday, 11:02 AM
co.45
Amateur

Well, I broke down and ordered the ECM/PCM from an EBay source. Used but with the standard 30 day return policy. Haven't got it yet but will post results when I do. My current plan is if the replacement works I will then send my original computer in somewhere for repair and keep it as a backup. Anyone have a "good" experience with one of the rebuilders?

Quick Reply: 93 Dakota 5.2L LE needs an ECM