1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Need advice on new motor

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday, 11:16 PM
Moved To TN
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need advice on new motor

Hello new guy hear with new to me 1991 Dakota 5.2 2wd auto. It is a Southern rust free relatively straight body truck but has a locked up motor I have tried but cant turn crank with breaker bar, the coolant mixed with the oil so motor is shot.She had 250,000 miles on her anyway. The good news I have receipt for 1875.00 dollars spent on transmission It came with a brand new Holly Sniper EFI on a new Edelbrock performer intake brand new distributor and new set of headers so with all the goody's I couldn't pass it up. My question what year motors will work as far as bolting to trans and motor mounts or would I be better off having the block and heads I have rebuilt it does have a roller cam already. If I go that route any upgrades i should look into Thank in advance for your help

Old Today, 08:30 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,391 Likes on 3,131 Posts

Is it a magnum motor in there? (intake manifold bolts go straight down into the heads, instead of at an angle.) 92 was actually the first year for the magnum.... but, I suspect yours has been swapped.

Old Today, 11:29 AM
Moved To TN
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Is it a magnum motor in there? (intake manifold bolts go straight down into the heads, instead of at an angle.) 92 was actually the first year for the magnum.... but, I suspect yours has been swapped.
The bolts go at an angle so i guess that would make it a LA engine

Old Today, 02:27 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,391 Likes on 3,131 Posts

Interesting.... Is it an aftermarket roller cam in there?? I don't recall just when the 5.2 went to rollers.... I thought that was with the Magnum engines only......

Quick Reply: Need advice on new motor