1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

just bought 96 with 3.9 , any KNOWN problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2006, 08:51 PM
crossy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default just bought 96 with 3.9 , any KNOWN problems

I should have checked here before I bought it, but I couldn't pass up the deal so now i need to know if there is anything i should be worried about with this 96 Dakota Club cab, fully loaded, 3.9L, auto trans.
Runs well right now but having problem with starter not engaging so i'm going to replace that first of all and clean all the connections.
thanx for any help. DAVE

Old 03-13-2006, 09:16 PM
Sneezer
Professional
Default RE: just bought 96 with 3.9 , any KNOWN problems

The 3.9 is a pretty stout engine, if a little underpowered. Most common problem is the timing chain, which can be noisy. Proper fix is a double roller and tensioner instead of the stock chain and thrust plate.

Old 03-14-2006, 02:29 AM
stantheman
Professional

I agree with the timing chain issue, although you really dont need the double roller, unless you really want it. The single chain and the tensioner will work fine. Also others will tell you that you dont need the tensioner with a new chain. Its all up to you. Another problem you might run accross is the intake bed pan gasket. Unless it is all ready fixed the way to check is by monitoring your oil usage, and looking down through your throttle body. If it looks like it is wet at the bottom then you may have a problem. Its rather easy to do if you have worked on engines before. Just make sure you get the torque specs right and new intake bolts. Not for sure how much the kit is off hand but its not that much, and it comes with everything you need.
Other than that you enjoy your truck and keep the maintenance up on it. It has an automatic, then I would have your trans serviced, not flushed, so that way you get a look at whats in the pan and get a new filter. Would recommend a rear diff serv also.
I have a 96 of my own and have dealt with these issues. Just passed 150k on her, check out my album by hitting the camera under my name. later

Old 03-14-2006, 03:49 AM
crossy

kinda had the feeling that the timing gears/chain was what i am hearing up front, but unfamiliar with the engine. It has 135K on it now with fair maintenance schedule. It SOUNDED like the 4.3 Chevy balance shaft issue when the gears start to get too much backlash..
Do the 3.9s already have a tensioner?? or need one added. point me to a link.
I've done plenty of this style of work and still build a few old school style engines.
It wont be a bit underpowered for what it is going to be used for and I like an ALL IRON engine anyway.
how do the Auto trannys hold up- always an issue with late model O/D units.
thanx for the input. DAVE

Old 03-14-2006, 07:07 AM
Dakota Brad
Rookie

if your going be pulling make sure u install a tranny cooler, the auto trannys dont hold out too good, my dakota trannys good now after the rebuild and there were two tranny coolers added

Old 03-14-2006, 12:27 PM
Sneezer
Professional

They started adding the tensioner in later years, but I am not sure when that was.

Old 03-23-2006, 04:32 AM
makericerscry

when i change the tranny fluid i like to cut apart the filter and see how much crap is in there and how big the shavings are. it's a good way to be prepared if you tranny is gonna die soon.

Old 12-22-2006, 02:45 PM
crossy

well we have had the truck on the road for a while now and i have to say that my pop is real pleased, enough so that the 98 Caravan minivan( no longer needed) will be put up on the block. the Dakota is surprisingly snappy with the 3.9
Part of the noise i originallly described was the center of the cat was loose. . I opened up the exhaust by installing an aftermarket hi flow cat and a large turbo muffler.
the timing chain noise isstill there but does not bother either of us. the fuel pump went already so now that it got replaced ($500 EEEEK) he should be good to go. the paint is also surprisingly good shape once we buffed it up. now back to my 91 cummins project. thanx again, crossy

Old 12-22-2006, 04:41 PM
Caspian

Is there any "easy out" with the fuel pump? Cant you just put an aftermarket fuel pump on instead of having to fool around with another stock one? Is it the location that makes it so difficult to replace or what?

Old 12-24-2006, 12:19 AM
djg0770

Fuel pump is in the tank. Some have suggested it's easier to removed the bed to get to the top of the tank rather than dropping the tank. It's 6 of one, half dozen of another unless you don't like to work on your back...

Quick Reply: just bought 96 with 3.9 , any KNOWN problems