1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

1994 Dodge Dakota wiring question

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2006, 07:27 PM
SWSWSWN
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1994 Dodge Dakota wiring question

I would really appreciate the list of what the colored wires go to from the radio in my 1994 Dodge Dakota Sport. It originally had an AM/FM cassette player, and is equipped with 4 speakers. No mods/after market changes (yet). Seems like there are more wires in the harness(s) than constant power, ignition power, and 4 speakers (+ & -). I counted 13 total. Is there a breakout of what each one is by color/code? Thanks in advance!!

Old 04-01-2006, 03:08 AM
dodgerules86
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: 1994 Dodge Dakota wiring question

well, in the service manual for my 96 (which i would assume would be pretty much the same).
there should be two connectors on the back of the stock radio, a gray and a black one.

the gray connector:
brown/red = left door speaker (-)
dark blue/red = right door speaker (-)
black/yellow = park lamp switch output (turns the radio lights on when parking lights or headlights are on)
orange = fused panel lamps dimmer switch signal (dims your radio lights when you dim your gauge lights)
red/white = fused ignition switch output (accessory/run key position - this is the power for the radio)
pink = fused B (+) (radio memory - this is "live" at all times the battery is connected)

black connector:
dark green/red = 12 volt output (premium radio)
brown/yellow = left rear speaker (+)
dark blue/white = right rear speaker (+)
dark green = left door speaker (+)
violet = right door speaker (+)
brown/light blue = left rear speaker (-)
dark blue/orange = right rear speaker (-)

ground for the radio is provided via a grounding strap on the actual radio.

edit: changed some wording to clear some confusion, and added grounding section.

Old 04-01-2006, 12:09 PM
SWSWSWN

Seems like all the colors match, even the dark green/red, which I couldn't figure out what it did (no power to it, didn't seem to affect speakers), must not be connected to anything at the other end.

This information helps tremendously!!

Thank you very much!

Old 04-06-2006, 09:50 PM
moparmanewulm

i would just run a constant off the battery. find a sorce off the fuse pannel or run a new wire from the fuse box under the hood. (thats where the radio fuse is on my 93) run new wires to the speakers. it will sound alot better. use at least 14 ga wire.

Old 07-08-2008, 10:17 PM
billy3771

the gray connector:
brown/red = left door speaker (-)
dark blue/red = right door speaker (-)
black/yellow = park lamp switch output (turns the radio lights on when parking lights or headlights are on)
orange = fused panel lamps dimmer switch signal (dims your radio lights when you dim your gauge lights)
red/white = fused ignition switch output (accessory/run key position - this is the power for the radio)
pink = fused B (+) (radio memory - this is "live" at all times the battery is connected)

ok i get the wiring ordering but i wont i dont get is where to connect the orange wire and the black/yellow wire to?

Old 11-21-2012, 06:57 PM
5speedftw
Amateur

I have a similar issue with my 94 v6 Dakota.

The radio & clock used to work intermittently but now there is no radio or clock.

Before finding this post I tested all the wires off of a ground and on the grey connector, the left two ( pink and red with the white stripe) were the only ones with power when the ignition was on.

Anyone know what my problem could be from this info or what I could do to figure it out?

Thanks!

Old 11-21-2012, 08:36 PM
wyrmrider
Professional

orange wire goes to the instrument lights so they dim together
best look at the wireing diagram in the service manual
is your harness not stock?

Quick Reply: 1994 Dodge Dakota wiring question