1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Engine Light

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2006, 05:19 PM
justin1635
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Light

last week i had thought my alternator went, but it turned out it was this peice of **** relay that was installed in the truck. its a 93 5.2 4x4.

and since i put my alt back in, the check engine light has been on.

i took my alt in and the guy said it was fine, and he thought it was my voltage regulator in my engine computer, but turned out to be that relay. so right now the alt is connected to the battery and bypasses the little black box that usually goes on it. is that why my check engine light is on? because the computer thinks my alt is done?

everything works the way it is right now, battery charges fine etc. so is there anyway to clear this light without having to pull the bulb? thanks

Old 05-06-2006, 09:57 PM
justin1635
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Engine Light

somebody.. please tell me how to get rid of this light

Old 05-07-2006, 05:05 AM
dodgerules86
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Follow this to pull the codes.
You may just need to disconnect the negative battery connector for a few minutes.
Example: Today I was diagnosing some electrical stuff. One of the things I had to do was unplug the Throttle Position Sensor connector, and disconnect one the the PCM's electrical connectors.
This caused the PCM to throw a code 24, saying that the TPS sensor does not agree with the MAP sensor, or that the TPS voltage is not within range.
Anyways, of course, this code was no longer legit, because I reconnected everything.
I drove home from Autozone (about 2 miles) with the check engine light on, disconnected the battery, came out 2 hours later to run another trip, reconnected the battery, and check engine light was gone.
In short, the light might be on for a problem that no longer exists. Pull the code, look it up on the above link, fix the problem if its not already fixed, and disconnect the battery for about 5 minutes to clear the code from the PCM.
If problem persits, reply, and drink... a lot.

Old 05-07-2006, 05:08 AM
dodgerules86
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

so is there anyway to clear this light without having to pull the bulb?
We only pull the bulbs when pilots are concerned about warning lights on planes. Haha..

Quick Reply: Engine Light