1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Intake and engine mounting question

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2006, 02:08 PM
projectdakota22
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intake and engine mounting question

Hey, I picked up a 318 out of an 88 ram, I was wondering what would be required for converting the intake on it (efi throttlebody) to carb'd. I know its relatively easy but I keep hearing defferent things.. such as the carb requires a mechanical fuel pump or I might be able to purchase a "fuel regulator" and keep my exisiting fuel pump. I was wondering if anybody could confirm what exactly is needed for the fuel pump for the carb'd engine (I'm new to car carbs but want to learn them a bit).

Also, since I want to put this engine in my 96 dakota I was wondering about the motor mounts. I know that the ram engine has "ear type" motor mounts which are different from the 3-bolt pad mounting found in dakotas. I was curious if anybody has done this with a ram engine and how exactly they put it in.

Thanks alot for any helpful information!

Old 05-08-2006, 04:52 PM
OneBadKota
All Star
Default RE: Intake and engine mounting question

I did an LA swap 360(out of a 74 Ram) into my 3.9 FI. You will most likely need the Schumacher motor mounts (www.engine-swaps.com). As for going to carb, run a mechanical fuel pump and gut your old one so you don't have to fill the hole in the tank. FI runs about 48psi and you need to run about 6psi. So, you will be needing about 4 fuel regulators. You can pick up a mechanical pump out of a junkyard. It's a must to gut the old fuel pump and use bigger hose.. or else you will not get enough fuel through.

Old 05-08-2006, 06:53 PM
projectdakota22
Professional

Thanks very much! that basically answered my questions.... how exactly do you gut the fuel pump?, and do you mean a bigger hose going from the gutted FI fuel pump all the way to the carb?

Old 05-09-2006, 03:01 AM
OneBadKota
All Star

There's a bunch of crap in the fuel pump(filter, hose, etc) Just take out the insides and push I believe I used a 3/8s hose down, just up from the bottom. I ran the hose from the bottom of the tank to a little bit up the frame rail. Just for now, until I can do the whole system with new lines. Then, I cut the line up on the fire wall. Ran the 5/16s hose from there, to the pump and to the pump to the carb. I can get pictures if need be. (I put a filter on the fuel hose from pump, just off the carb.) While the tank is down, I would recommend checking the whole thing over for leaks since the plastics are notorious for it. Also, if you can, get new metal straps for it.

Old 05-10-2006, 01:43 PM
projectdakota22
Professional

K, I'll probably end up going with this way when i get the engine more towards completion, thanks!

Quick Reply: Intake and engine mounting question