1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

92 dak with 94 engine

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2006, 10:47 AM
erock92kota
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 92 dak with 94 engine

Sometimes it will start back up...other times it wont. It tries thats about it. If I let it sit for a while, Then it will start up and run again. It literally runs for about 2 minutes before either dying or sputtering. It will run beautiful, then it will pick up a misfire here n there, then all of a sudden it all goes to hell. There is no a/c on this truck. I hadnt done anything to the truck before this happened. It still sets no codes. I didn't put the engine in the truck, the previous owner did. I bought this truck the day before the last new years, but it didnt start acting up until around the middle of march. Thats when it got hard to start. It would take about 10 seconds to get it to start but she would start everytime. Thats when I changed the plugs, wires, cap, rotor, and the air filter. Didnt really fix the problem when I did this so I just figured well, at least its not dry starting. Then it progressed to it would just shut off now n then. Like once in a great while. But it would always fire right back up. Then my wife took it one day to drive into town to get some things while I was working on my car, it left her sit. She got about a mile down the road, she shut off. This is what it has done since that day a lil over a month ago. I have gone over things 20 times at least on this truck.

I am positive that everything is hooked up right, or at least I put it back on the way it was when I took it off. But again I may be wrong. I just think it is soo odd how it runs beautiful, and will start literally better then it did when I bought it, touch the key and she fires right up when its cold, and then all of a sudden ........blah. All in a matter of about 2 minutes. Almost like its on a timer. Oh yeah, and I put a new pcv valve and a crankcase breather on the truck along with the plugs and wires and stuff. I have heard of the seafoam before, does it really work?

Well thanks again,
Eric

Old 07-04-2006, 05:17 PM
dodgerules86
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: 92 dak with 94 engine

Well, I've read many people that say they can literally see SeaFoam work... by the stuff that goes out the tailpipe. And, since I don't usually argue with stuff that can be proven with pictures...
IIRC, they poured it down the brake booster vaccum line, so that is goes into the engine. Than they let the motor run for a few seconds, stop the motor for 5 minutes (to let to do its job) and than start 'er up.. (Follow the directions on the bottle, or do a further search for people that have actually used it!).

Double check all the fuel lines to ensure they are in good condition (such as the rubber ones not being kinked or in bad condition, clogged, etc) (Note: the hoses connected the two fuel rails require a special tool to remove/reinstall)

I'm really at a loss too.

Quick Reply: 92 dak with 94 engine