1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

88 dakota bogging and other questions..

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2006, 02:09 AM
trackinspectorjim
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 88 dakota bogging and other questions..

I recently acquired an 88 Dakota SE with 67 thousand original miles. The truck is in really good shape and looks pretty darn good. It has the 3.9 V6 and only has a couple of problems that im wondering about. The easy on first, it seems to have a slight leak around the valve cover gaskets. I have a set of gaskets for it but havent yet had the time to put them on. Is this a common problem for this year/engine? The other problem is that sometimes, usually when i start it up after its been sitting it tends to bog down when i accelerate. It doesnt miss, its like the TBI isnt feeding gas and it only lasts about a second then it will start accelerating. It seems like it mostly happens in the mornings and at work when i leave but it has happened a couple of times after its been driven a few miles. Any ideas? Also, any cheap mods to give the six a lil more boost...like a aftercat system and if so where could i get one? Links? Companies? Product numbers? Thanks guys n gals...TI Jim

Old 09-16-2006, 07:25 AM
dodgerules86
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: 88 dakota bogging and other questions..

As far as the leaky gakset problem... where are they leaking from? The driver side rear? I only ask because on my motor (which, they changed some things on these engines in the 8 years differance, but are still pretty much the same motor), I have a problem in that area. It was leaking oil (a very, very, very small amount, and it healed itself), and recently I noticed a small puddle of a liquid there [:@], I'm gonna investigate it a little more once I get my truck back from the body shop, probably will need to re-torque the bolts down and keep a good eye on them, but I replaced the gaskets.
As far as the bogging down, when this occures, if you let up off the gas for a few seconds, and than re-apply the gas, does it problem end? If that is the case, this is the same problem that I and a few other users experiance from time to time. One user, erock92kota, has replaced darn near every replaceable part (in a search for another problem) and I believe he said he still gets it from time to time. It doesn't bother me (I only get it maybe once or twice per month), but, I would like to know at least the solution to it. Soooo.... if that desribes what your talking about, I guess you could say its a known, but not solved, issue.
As far as mods, I don't know much in that department... i've heard a cold air intake and modified exhaust are nice.

Old 09-17-2006, 01:01 AM
trackinspectorjim
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Passenger side rear and driver side rear...its not a huge leak but its noticeable on the valve cover screw tips. Anyways, the bog i have is exactly as you describe it...im thinking something to do with a choke system if TBI even has a choke or maybe they just need cleaned...anyways thanks

Old 09-17-2006, 01:34 AM
dodgerules86
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Try replacing the gaskets, as you are going to do. As you already know buy picking up the gaskets, they are steel-backed, and they are "reuseable". The cylinder-head cover bolts get torqued to 95 in. lbs. (aka 11 N*m, aka 8 ft. lbs.)

Quick Reply: 88 dakota bogging and other questions..