1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

88 Dakota blower motor resistor

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2006, 08:40 PM
guapo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 88 Dakota blower motor resistor

Hi guys! I was hoping someone might be able to help me with a little problem. I have a 1988 Dakota 4x4, automatic, 39L V6. The blower for my heater/defroster sometimes doesn't work and I've been told that it's probably the blower motor resistor, which might need cleaning or replacement. My problem is that I don't know where to find it! I've been searching the internet (which is how I found this site) and can't find anything specific to the 88 model. I've found references to similar problems on other model years, some of which have said it was located on the passenger side firewall at the top left and others have said something about removing the glove box and finding it behind there. I have a vague idea of what it might look like, but not enough to be absolutely certain if I don't know for sure where it's located. Anyway, I was hoping maybe one of you Dakota owners who are a bit more mechanically inclined than am I might be able to help me locate it. Thanks so much!

Old 09-23-2006, 10:32 PM
dodgerules86
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: 88 Dakota blower motor resistor

Yes, as stated in the FAQs, the resistor block is located on the passenger side firewall:
[IMG]local://upfiles/948/A6C7D0F009614875885D4659A1DFA4FB.jpg[/IMG]
Just remove the screws/bolts holding it in, and replace. Its like a $10 part at any autoparts store or the dealer.

Old 09-24-2006, 03:11 AM
guapo

Thanks so much! I appreciated your help! [sm=icon_guiness.gif]

Old 09-25-2006, 01:49 PM
guapo

Okay, I replaced the resistor, but unfortunately that didn't solve the problem. The blower is still dead half the time and works half the time. Anyone have any idea what else the problem might be and how I can check it? Thanks!

Old 09-25-2006, 04:53 PM
dodgerules86
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Ok. Look at THIS thread. His problem turned out to be with the connection by the resistor.
Keep in mind: the positive electrical feed to the blower motor is constant, the GROUND to the blower is what the speed selector swtich (and thus the resistor block) changes.

Old 09-25-2006, 05:00 PM
guapo

Thanks so much! I'll check it out.

Old 09-26-2006, 10:33 PM
darrell8937

I had no problem finding the blower resistor on my 88 Dakota Sport, Just follow the smoke and the flames. Was driving along as happy as could be when I smelt burning plastic or rubber. I was behind the nastyest garbage truck belching smoke and figured it was him. Whell I took a turn off and the smell got worse. I pulled over just in time as when I opened the hood the wireing harnes erupted in flames. Luckly enough , there was snow on the ground and was able to put it out before it burned up too much in that bundle of wires. high speed still worked so I never fixed as the truck was falling apart. I got my money out of it before I went to some young kid with dreams of fixing it up.

Quick Reply: 88 Dakota blower motor resistor