1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

95 4x4 catalytic converter replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2006, 10:42 PM
fedcop110
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 4x4 catalytic converter replacement

Has anyone replaced a catalytic converter on their truck? Mine is a 1995 4x4 sport 3.9L V6, I had the converter replaced in 2001 or 2002 but it is rattling again. At the time I had it done it was covered under the 80,000 mile federaly mandated warranty, now unfortunately it is not. Dodge would have charged $800 to do it had it not been under warranty, so I would like to give it a shot myself for obvious reasons.

I have found the parts online, and it appears to be simply bolted into place, but I would like to know if there is more to it than just the u-bolts. I have never done any welding so if it's involved I will have to suck it up and pay for it.

Just curious, I want to get it done before it clogs up. Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Old 10-08-2006, 11:39 PM
dodgerules86
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: 95 4x4 catalytic converter replacement

Yes, for $800 they better give you a catalytic converter that also turns your exhaust fumes into diamonds.

Jegs.com has catalytic convertors.
Summitracing.com also has them.
Makeitmopar.com also carrys OEM.
And, of course, your local auto parts stores carry them.

From Jegs.com or Summitracing.com, they typically run around $100-ish.
From makeitmopar.com, they are typically around $300-ish (they sell Mopar factory parts, like you get at the dealer, for less). Dealer price is about $100 more.
Local auto parts stores typically run from about $150-$300.

As far as the replacement, you maybe able to just clamp the new one on, but, even if you need to have it welded, a local exhaust shop can weld her on there for pretty cheap.

Old 10-09-2006, 12:20 AM
erock92kota
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 95 4x4 catalytic converter replacement

I had one welded at mineke (did I spell that right?) once. Cost me somewhere around 20 bucks. I would recommend going with an aftermarket cat. I bought a highflow cat for my Dak from summit. Dont really recall how much it was (I used the evil plastic card)but I know that it was cheaper then buying a factory replacement. You can get away with clamping them into place. If your going to buy an aftermarket deal, remember that it's a 2.5 inch inlet and outset, you dont need and air tube.

Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: 95 4x4 catalytic converter replacement