1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Power/speed chip

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2006, 04:53 PM
DukeSupes
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power/speed chip

I was down at my local parts store talking a friend who works there. And he said that they have a chip that you plug into the ignition system or computer on my 1993 dakota and will give me 20 percent guaranteed better fuel economy and more horse power. I dont know if this has been asked before on here but has any messed around with these power chips? Maybe its just me but I dont like the idea of "moding" my trucks computer at all because I dont know what this chip does exactly. If they said that it adjusts your trucks timing to the most optimal setting or better regulates the amount of fuel its consuming I understand that. Has anyone here used one or know what exactly it does?

Old 10-12-2006, 11:14 PM
Bad96_3.9
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Power/speed chip

I have the jet stage 2 in my truck and it did help with the gas mileage. I got about a 1/2 mile per gallon difference with regular, but a 2 mile per gallon difference with premium. You are supposed to run at least 91 octane because it adjusts the fuel curve and advances the timing. It will also help out your transmission too. It builds up more pressure in the lines for a quicker more positive shift so the tranny wont slip. It was a good investment in my opinion, so you should give it a shot!!!

Old 10-14-2006, 10:52 PM
erock92kota
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Power/speed chip

Alot of the time these modules work. Just dont expect earth shattering speed and performance from just a chip alone. They normally comliment other mods such as an intake or high flow exhaust. things like that. As far as fuel economy, thats got more to do with your driving habits. If your constantly trying to do burnouts and think you have to get everywhere at mach 1 or better, then your gonna have lousy fuel mileage.

Quick Reply: Power/speed chip