1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Clunk sound?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2006, 03:35 PM
projectdakota22
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clunk sound?

Hey everyone, I just recently discovered a new sound in my truck. And by the sounds of it, this should be fixed. Its kind of a clunking sound, and only happens whenever I hit the gas hard on takeoff. Well... its only one big clunk then its gone. When i listened to it, the sound seemed to come from the front. It almost sounded like a broke motor mount or something. Any help to what this is, would be awesome!

Old 09-28-2006, 05:40 PM
dodgerules86
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Clunk sound?

ORIGINAL: projectdakota22

Hey everyone, I just recently discovered a new sound in my truck. And by the sounds of it, this should be fixed. Its kind of a clunking sound, and only happens whenever I hit the gas hard on takeoff. Well... its only one big clunk then its gone. When i listened to it, the sound seemed to come from the front. It almost sounded like a broke motor mount or something. Any help to what this is, would be awesome!
I dunno. When I hit the gas hard on mine at takeoff, my tranny (I think) will shutter.

Old 09-28-2006, 06:09 PM
fishlessman
Professional

have you checked for wear on the ujoints on the drive shafte, is it four wheel drive as those components sometimes clunk

Old 09-28-2006, 10:33 PM
projectdakota22
Professional

Nope, its not 4 wheel drive its a posi. And I'm pretty sure its more than the tranny shuttering because it sounds pretty bad when it happens, you can feel it throughout the truck, but who knows it may be. I think its either the torque converter or a motor mount.

Old 09-29-2006, 01:33 AM
91dodgedakota

sounds like a motor mount to me. can always make sure by opening up the hood and tapping the gas and see if the motor moves up or down alot, if it does defianlly check out the motor mounts.

Old 09-29-2006, 03:04 AM
projectdakota22
Professional

K K, I'll check it out tomorrow.

Old 10-02-2006, 04:35 PM
projectdakota22
Professional

Turns out my left side mount is toast, and my other one is starting to go too lol.

Old 10-02-2006, 05:45 PM
dodgerules86
Champion

ORIGINAL: projectdakota22

Turns out my left side mount is toast, and my other one is starting to go too lol.
Yea. When I just had my truck re-repaired for the accident I had, I specifically requested that they do an alignment (didn't do it the first time around), and on the piece of paper for the invoice it said "needs motor mounts." With how it steered after the alignment (pretty loose, I asked the guy, and he said how it was aligned before, it would make the steering more stiff than it actually is) it probably need some new front-end parts.
So... coming in a few months (no time real soon): how-to's on: ball joints, tie rods, motor mounts, and I might throw in an idler arm and pitman arm while I'm down there.

Old 10-03-2006, 01:21 AM
Bad96_3.9
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my truck was doing the same thing and i replaced the mounts in it and it does not do it anymore. Have fun with it though b/c my were a pain in the butt. I aslo have to replace some front end stuff in my truck but i am waiting for it too cool off. let me know how it goes!

Old 10-03-2006, 01:48 AM
dodgerules86
Champion

Ok, this might sound like a stupid question, but, what did you have to do to get your tires to smoke for your picture Bad96_3.9?
Seriously... I can't get mine to do anything! Well, it probably doesn't help that all it does when I jump on the gas from a stop is shudders a few times, and than goes. But when I put it in reverse and jump on the gas, it squeeled the tires.
I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that I have a limited-slip diff., and maybe my tires (BFGoodrich All-Terrains') don't help out.
... maybe if I actually spend some money and solve the shuddering problem, I'll be able to give it some gas without it acting retarded.

Quick Reply: Clunk sound?