1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Getting a Dakota

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2007, 10:43 PM
matt_s
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting a Dakota

So my dad found me a 1990 Dakota 2wd club cab with very little rust on the front fender all of the rest is good, the truck is also mechanicly awsome if something was acting up the guy would go and get it replaced so its all good. but what im wondering is, is it worth $1700can? also what should i do to it to make is custom? also I'll get pics once i get the truck.

thanks

Old 01-08-2007, 12:41 AM
jonnymagnum
Grand Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Getting a Dakota

$1700 sounds like a pretty good deal if its in good shape. how many kms are on it? its probly a 3.9 in it, it's a pretty solid motor, they go forever.

if you do buy it, lets see some pics

Old 01-08-2007, 01:23 AM
matt_s
Rookie

It's got 200, ***km on it, i am buying it for sure, just waiting on the guy to get a new truck then he will let my dad now and ill get it. Ill defently take some pics for ya once i get it. what sort of power does the 3.9 have in it? also is it hard to make it dual exhaust

Old 01-08-2007, 01:29 AM
jonnymagnum
Grand Champion

200 000+kms isnt that bad. as for the 3.9 I would defnatly put a flowmaster 40 on it. and I would just stay with a single exhaust. I would also put on a cold air intake too.

the 3.9 does lack a a lil bit of power but its a solid motor and will go forever.

plus make sure you do a good tune up on it when you get it.

Old 01-08-2007, 02:29 AM
Prangleys 95 Dak

Matt, if the fenders are not rotted through you might want to consider doing a little body work.. they only get worse with the plastic flares holding dirt and salt in thereand it shouldn't cost too much to paint just the front fenders, as specially if it is mono tone (I guess this all depends on how long you want to drive the truck). If you do deside to take off the flares be careful, there may not be much under there and they may not go back on again. Also, don't forget the basics like a new air filter, check pvc valve, little stuff like that will help in the long run.
P.S. good thinking going with the ol 1st gen Dakota!! (Sorry, don't have time to shrink pics to post)
Jonnymagnum, what cold air intake do you reccomend for the 3.9L out of curiousity?

Old 01-08-2007, 02:12 PM
jonnymagnum
Grand Champion

I never bought a CAI personally. I just make my own. but alot of people seem to go with K&N and AIR RAID.

I'll have to try and take some pics of the CAI I made for the 88 dak. its probly my best design yet. I have a ractive cone air filter stuck up inside my hood scoop so it gets nothing but cold air.

Quick Reply: Getting a Dakota