1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

U-joints and transmission oil change

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 01:33 PM
DukeSupes
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default U-joints and transmission oil change

Hello all, I am currently getting some really rediculous prices to have some work done on the truck. I called a local Dodge dealer service dept. and they said it would be $440 plus parts to replace all 4 u-joints saying it was 3.5 hours for each front drive line and 1 hour for each rear drive line. Then I asked about a tranmission oil change with filter and they said that was $150 plus parts. I changed transmission oil and filters in my 92 shadow and 66 charger before and I dont see where I would charge 150 to do that. Nor 440 plus for u-joints. My question is should I attempt to do the u-joints myself? Or buy the u-joints from Dodge and pay someone else to do it?

Old 01-22-2007, 02:15 PM
BOOMER_87
Professional
Default RE: U-joints and transmission oil change

you can buy u-joints that are just as good or better than dodge and way less pricey from your local parts store.get yourself a haynes manual and see if it's a job you feel like trying is all I can say about the u joint replacement the trans filter is pretty straight forward so I would absolutely do that myself

Old 01-22-2007, 02:19 PM
DukeSupes
Captain
Default RE: U-joints and transmission oil change

I hear that the Brute Force U-joints are some of the best and are only about 15 bucks a piece where the ones you get at Dodge are 30 a piece. Does anyone have the parts numbers for all four U-Joints by any chance?

Quick Reply: U-joints and transmission oil change