1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

1995 dodge dakota engine problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 12:25 PM
mark1995
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1995 dodge dakota engine problems

I have a 1995 dodge dakota 4x4 V6 extended cab with 210,000 miles. I recently had an intake gasket put on by a mechanic because it was backfiring and cutting out bad. It would run good when it was cold outside. After the mechanic replaced the gasket, the truck started up an ran for an hour with no problems. I went to pick it up and it died and would not start up. The mechanic picked me up and later went to get the truck and it started to drive up on his trailer. He took it to his shop and could not figure out what was wrong with it. The truck would idle up and down and then die. Sometimes starting up right away and other times not till the next day. He change the crank sensor, cam sensor, battery, ASD relay , checked to make sure that it had enough fuel pressure and it did, then he put a new computer in it and it would not start. He took it out and put the used one back in and cranked several times and finlly got it to start and pull computer back off and put new one back on and still idled up and down and died. So he put the old computer back on and now it will not start. There is no spark at the coil or distibuter and only .05 volts going to the coil. I read about a lot of 1995 dodges having this problem and even the Dealer could not get them running. I also read about a failure of the battery feed wire to the fuel pump and the ASD relay. How would you jump across this to find out if that is the problem or any other ideas!!!!!!!!

Old 05-11-2009, 12:42 PM
RockGuardedDak
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mark1995
I have a 1995 dodge dakota 4x4 V6 extended cab with 210,000 miles. I recently had an intake gasket put on by a mechanic because it was backfiring and cutting out bad. It would run good when it was cold outside. After the mechanic replaced the gasket, the truck started up an ran for an hour with no problems. I went to pick it up and it died and would not start up. The mechanic picked me up and later went to get the truck and it started to drive up on his trailer. He took it to his shop and could not figure out what was wrong with it. The truck would idle up and down and then die. Sometimes starting up right away and other times not till the next day. He change the crank sensor, cam sensor, battery, ASD relay , checked to make sure that it had enough fuel pressure and it did, then he put a new computer in it and it would not start. He took it out and put the used one back in and cranked several times and finlly got it to start and pull computer back off and put new one back on and still idled up and down and died. So he put the old computer back on and now it will not start. There is no spark at the coil or distibuter and only .05 volts going to the coil. I read about a lot of 1995 dodges having this problem and even the Dealer could not get them running. I also read about a failure of the battery feed wire to the fuel pump and the ASD relay. How would you jump across this to find out if that is the problem or any other ideas!!!!!!!!
the FAQ thread has more info on this, check the splice under the PDC (power distribution center), sometimes it corrodes and cause the computer to get no power and therefore provides no spark to the engine

Old 05-11-2009, 12:46 PM
95_318SLT
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

*EDIT* After reading up on the power splice issue, I agree with the other's responses... check that splice first.

If that doesn't get you anywhere, replace the MAP, IAC, and TPS.

Last edited by 95_318SLT; 05-11-2009 at 01:11 PM.
Old 05-11-2009, 12:52 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Sounds like the splice for the power. Check the FAQ for a write up on it.

Old 05-11-2009, 01:43 PM
Dakota1089
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would try and look for a service manual for your truck, i got one for my 88 and there is alot on the ignition system and what seems to be your problem and how to proberly diagnose and fix it. Based on what my manual says and what your describing i agree with the others. Good luck let us know.

Quick Reply: 1995 dodge dakota engine problems