1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

'94 Brake issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2009, 12:02 PM
gipsie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '94 Brake issue

Hello all. I have a '94 Dakota that is an awesome woods vehicle.

I went in for an alignment and was told that I had a bad passenger side hub. It began making a grinding noise and I bought the assembly and replaced it. Because of the hub the brake pad was pretty well shot and I replaced the pads as well on both sides.

Bled the brakes and then had NO BRAKES. With the truck not running, the brakes were tight. Went to back it out of the driveway and the pedal went to the floor. Bled the front and the back brakes, drove back and forth pumping the brakes and got them back. Figured it was resolved. Put about 90 miles on it, parked it for the night and got in it the next day and the brakes were back to going to the floor. Tried pumping them, no good. Had an idea about the ABS (that light was on as well as the regular brake light) and went to remove the fuse for the ABS. No owners manual, but checked on here and saw it might be #4. Went out to remove it and give it a shot and there was no fuse in that slot. Checked the Chilton's (Haynes) manual and saw that it might be #10 and went out and removed that one, still no difference.

I am at my wit's end. Can anyone give any suggestions?

Old 10-03-2009, 12:46 PM
skyshark186
Captain

sounds like you didnt get a bleeder valve shut, or maybe you sucked air into the line somewhere. Or I guess your master cylinder could be shot, and just went out at a wierd time.

Old 10-03-2009, 12:46 PM
95_318SLT
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Welcome to DodgeForum!

Here is a link to download the '95 FSM in PDF format (will be the exact same as your '94)...

http://rapidshare.com/files/205466895/1995_AN_SERVICE.ZIP

Section 5 of that FSM is all about brakes and has a specific procedure for bleeding them. Follow that procedure very closely and if the brakes still act up, my guess is your master cylinder has gone bad.

Old 10-03-2009, 01:27 PM
gipsie

I am hoping that it is not the master cylinder as I have a brand new one that I put in in February. Could it go bad that fast?

I will be checking the bleeder valves tomorrow, but I am fairly certain that they are all shut.

Thanks for the file. Downloading and checking it out now....

Quick Reply: '94 Brake issue