1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Dodge Dakota cruise control and truck not shifting gears

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 09:58 AM
texastig
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Dodge Dakota cruise control and truck not shifting gears

I just found this forum and I'm new here.
I've been looking for years for help with these problems. My truck has been sitting for years because of the truck not shifting correctly.
I have a 93 Dodge Dakota 3.9L, V6.
When taking off from the house down the road I press the gas pedal and take off and the truck rpms rev up real high and it doesn't change gears until I let off of the gas pedal. Then it shifts into another gear.
This happens all the way down the road while getting to the speed limit.

Also, my cruise control stopped working. I checked the fuse and it's fine.

Any help would be be appreciated and I'd like to get my Dodge Dakota working again.

Thanks

Old 10-02-2008, 12:53 PM
codydakota
Captain

sounds like the kickdown is out of adjustment, it's located on the left side of the transmission. Loosen the adjustment screw locknut 5 turns and make sure it turns freely, if necessary use some penetrating oil. tighten the adjusting screw, this is not the locknut, but the screw in the middle of it, tighten to 72in/lbs then back it off 2 1/2 turns, hold this screw so it don't move then tighten the lockunt to 30in/lbs, and see if that helps

Old 10-02-2008, 02:10 PM
texastig

Cody, is that looking from the front of the vehicle or from the back for the left side of the transmission?
Thanks for your help. I appreciate it very much.

Old 10-12-2009, 04:27 PM
akabullseye

Hey Tig, did that correct your issue? I have the same issue on my 93 V8 4x4 with an added symptom. The day after having the late **** start the trany will no longer go into Park all the way. I read somewhere that there is an Iron washer in the governer that break and I'm thinking it fit my symptoms better. Any one else ever see this situation?

Old 10-12-2009, 04:37 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by akabullseye
Hey Tig, did that correct your issue? I have the same issue on my 93 V8 4x4 with an added symptom. The day after having the late **** start the trany will no longer go into Park all the way. I read somewhere that there is an Iron washer in the governer that break and I'm thinking it fit my symptoms better. Any one else ever see this situation?
If you can't get it into park most likely it is the shift linkages. There is an adjuster your adjust to get it to line up correctly.

Old 10-13-2009, 05:57 AM
texastig

Originally Posted by akabullseye
I changed the TPS and it fixed the shifting problem.

Cruise control is still kaput.

Quick Reply: Dodge Dakota cruise control and truck not shifting gears