1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

1990 2wd 3.9 v6 auto abs and brake light

Old 06-04-2010, 03:05 PM
fox87
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1990 2wd 3.9 v6 auto abs and brake light

where should i start looking to get thies lights to shut off. both are on and when i put the e-brake on the brake light gets brighter but dims back down. the truck has 287k miles on it and has been a great truck and other than the stering colume that is all that is wrong with it.

Old 06-05-2010, 02:52 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Here these may help. If needed more info check out the FAQ for the service manual. It has everything.

I believe both lights can be lit up by a bad fuse/ bad power or ground to the ABS module.

Last edited by Crazy4x4RT; 06-05-2010 at 02:55 AM.
Old 05-03-2011, 10:13 PM
maxmorter
Default same truck similar issue

my trucks park brake and abs light been on all day on way home park brake stuck then finally started workin right got home and shift to park now my park is just another word for neutral what did i **** up?

Old 05-04-2011, 02:36 PM
bluegill4x4

My 90 4x4 kind of does the same thing every time I hit a bump the abs and brake lights will come on then my radio shuts off and comes back on over and over again with every bump!anyone have this problem?

Old 05-04-2011, 04:56 PM
shadowthedakota
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mine always turned on when there was a leak in the brakes...

Old 05-04-2011, 07:13 PM
MoparMan1995
Professional

Fox87, To go along with what Shadow said, you could take the cap or CAPS (depending on your setup) off of your brake fluid reservoir and check to see if either the front or back section may be low, if it is you may have a brake line leak. Also, I had the problem you are having a couple different times for different reasons. Besides the brake line leak, I've also had this problem in my '95 dakota if the ABS sensor plug on the top middle of the rear-end comes off, becomes loose, or has a bad connection due to dirt buildup or corrosion of some sort. Another reason for your problem could also be a bad fuse somewhere. Those are the only 3 reason's I can think of right now besides what has been mentioned besides of course needing brake replacement.

Maxmorter, The problem you have may be due to a parking pin problem, it may not be engaging properly or is broken.

Bluegill4x4, Like Fox87's issue, your problem could also be a loose/ bad connection on a fuse or also a wiring problem such as the ABS plug-in at the top center of the rear-end. As with the problem I had with that connector, it can be taken off carefully and sprayed out very well with a can of throttle body or carb cleaner...something that degreases and dries fast. That connection should have a clip on top that you pry up on and then carefully pull out the connector.

Hope these suggestions help guys, let us know how it goes?

Old 05-05-2011, 12:40 PM
bluegill4x4

Thanks moparman I'll try it and report back

Old 05-05-2011, 07:11 PM
bluegill4x4

Nope didnt fix it

Old 05-06-2011, 12:21 AM
MoparMan1995
Professional

Bluegill4x4, Really sounds like a wiring or fuse box problem. Have you checked any of the wires running to and from both the under hood and under the steering column fuse boxes? Also there is a cluster of wires right behind the rubber or plastic shield inside of your drivers side front you should check. I've had mine fall down before and get close to getting caught in the moving components of the steering system before, maybe one of those wires has a crack or short etc.

With the fuses, if you have a replacement fuse or fuses for your radio and ABS lights, I would just replace them to be on the safe side, sometimes the connections get worn and the fuses move around more easily then a brand new fuse does which might explain why when u hit a bump those things shut off/on for a moment. I was sure of thise but I just double checked my manual anyways...the all ABS fuses are not tied into the radio fuse, they are separate so unless it's a rare case that you have 2 loose fuses, seems like you have a wiring problem...though I can't say that with 100% certainty...there's a good chance that's your problem. There should be (as there is on my truck) one ABS fuse and also a ABS relay in the fuse box under the hood (next to driver side fender in front of window washer fluid reservoir) and one ABS fuse in the fuse box under your steering column inside the cab itself. Those should be checked to be on the safe side.

I know that's a lot to read and look over but, let us know how it goes? Good luck

Old 05-06-2011, 01:43 PM
maxmorter

Well now my trans started leaking and blew up on way to a job site. I'm screwed

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1990 2wd 3.9 v6 auto abs and brake light