1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

'90 Dakota Sport fog lights

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2017, 12:06 AM
glenlloyd
Veteran
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm not precisely sure what the early valance looks like but this is what the 91-96 factory fog lamp valance looks like. It covers the lower half of the bumper and sort of looks like the ones I've seen on the convertible Dakota.

I'd really like to find one of these bumpers since mine is already tweaked and I plan on adding fog lights.

Steve

Attached Thumbnails '90 Dakota Sport fog lights-dak_fog_bumper_2a.jpg   '90 Dakota Sport fog lights-dak_fog_bumper_3a.jpg  
Old 11-03-2017, 06:28 AM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker
Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts

The early version mounts to the fenders and the bottom lip of the bumper. I found this picture on the internet..... The 91 up appear to have a more rounded bumper and it appears to go up mid way of bumper. I dont believe the 2 could interchange.

Old 11-03-2017, 08:05 AM
robertmee
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can tell you for a fact, the valence from 91 up does not fit a 87-90 and vice versa. The bumpers are completely different. The 87-90 are flat, and the 91-up are bowed. I actually still have an extra 91 valence AND the original 90 valence (plus bumper). Unfortunately, my 90 didn't have fog lights. To me, it looks like that picture above are cut out. You can have my 90 valence if you want to try the same.

Old 11-03-2017, 12:08 PM
glenlloyd
Veteran

Originally Posted by robertmee
I can tell you for a fact, the valence from 91 up does not fit a 87-90 and vice versa. The bumpers are completely different. The 87-90 are flat, and the 91-up are bowed. I actually still have an extra 91 valence AND the original 90 valence (plus bumper). Unfortunately, my 90 didn't have fog lights. To me, it looks like that picture above are cut out. You can have my 90 valence if you want to try the same.
Precisely what I meant. I wasn't suggesting they were the same just that the ones I've seen for the early are similar to the 91-96. The later 91-96 bumper would bolt up but look weird because the front isn't as rounded on the early trucks. The front rad support of the 91 up trucks was changed to accommodate the V8, that's why the bumper changed. I have no doubt that the mounting points are the same and that the bumper would actually bolt in place but it would look wrong with the early grille etc.

I guess my point is that I've seen a lot of valances where someone cut a hole in it and voila it's instantly a valance for fogs and that's not really true. In fact there's a local JY that has a bumper they claim is for fogs but if you look at it it's just a non-fog valance with round holes cut in it.

Finding a real early Dakota valance for fogs will be a trick, a lot of those trucks are now crushed and gone with the great scrapping of 2006-09. It's not impossible but will be tough.
Steve

EDIT: I see there's a place in CO that has a NOS Shelby front valance with fogs at a very reasonable price.

Last edited by glenlloyd; 11-03-2017 at 08:35 PM.
Old 11-03-2017, 03:35 PM
onemore94dak
Record Breaker
Received 132 Likes on 124 Posts

I called the number at the link and the guy looked it up and says the pic is the item so that's not it.

Old 11-03-2017, 11:16 PM
RobertMc
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by onemore94dak
You may disagree but white fog lights are pointless. You need a yellow lens so that the light reflecting off the water vapor does not blind you in dense fog.
This is a common, but incorrect belief.

Wavelength has little or no effect on the ability of light to penetrate, or the amount of backscattering in fog.
That said, the human eye IS dazzled easier by some wavelengths more than others, but this is due to human physiology.
But, test data shows there is no significant difference between white and yellow headlights.

http://www.lrc.rpi.edu/programs/tran...1-bullough.pdf

https://web.archive.org/web/20091027...f/fog/fog.html

It's more of a tradition if anything. The first fogs I ever saw were in France in the late 70's and they were yellow. At the same time the UK didn't use yellow. Since the early "cool" lighting was from Europe, I suspect that people came to believe that yellow was better.

As for the valance, I've not seen one available for ages, unless it was in a wrecker yard. Alas too many of these trucks were crushed, which makes it a serious PITA to get some of the trim parts. In fact, I plan on getting a 3D printer this winter so I experiment with making my own weather seal pieces for the convertible top.

Where's the NOS Shelby one with fogs ?

Last edited by RobertMc; 11-03-2017 at 11:31 PM.
Old 11-04-2017, 02:12 AM
onemore94dak
Record Breaker

Well I have used both white fogs and yellow fogs. the yellow are far better. There is not nearly as much blinding glare. The white fogs are so dangerous they actually make things worse in heavy fog, reducing how far you can see to the very front of the hood where they hit the fog. If the fog is lighter then you probably don't need them. Trust me if you are in the Tule fog in the San Joaquin valley or any other low farm country that fogs up good you want yellow lights to see the road.

Old 11-04-2017, 09:35 AM
RobertMc
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by onemore94dak
Well I have used both white fogs and yellow fogs. the yellow are far better. There is not nearly as much blinding glare. The white fogs are so dangerous they actually make things worse in heavy fog, reducing how far you can see to the very front of the hood where they hit the fog. If the fog is lighter then you probably don't need them. Trust me if you are in the Tule fog in the San Joaquin valley or any other low farm country that fogs up good you want yellow lights to see the road.
Read the science docs. I hear this annecdotal evidence all the time from people, and yet in controlled testing, with measurement tools, it does not bear out.
I've too have used both yellow and white, since 1979 on various vehicles in prairie snow/blizzards, and dense east coast fog and west coast winter rain, and if all other factors ar the same (placement, spread etc) there is little difference for yellow or white incandesents. That said, there IS a human visual perception difference for lights that have a lot of blue spectrum in them, which some people seem to prefer and think is "cool" today, but can dazzle people. That perception is a human physiological factor which varies between people. Just like some people needing glasses. FWIW, Some countries in europe required yellow coloured fog lights, but no longer have the rule due to testing.

Old 11-04-2017, 11:26 AM
glenlloyd
Veteran

Originally Posted by RobertMc
Read the science docs. I hear this annecdotal evidence all the time from people, and yet in controlled testing, with measurement tools, it does not bear out.
I've too have used both yellow and white, since 1979 on various vehicles in prairie snow/blizzards, and dense east coast fog and west coast winter rain, and if all other factors ar the same (placement, spread etc) there is little difference for yellow or white incandesents. That said, there IS a human visual perception difference for lights that have a lot of blue spectrum in them, which some people seem to prefer and think is "cool" today, but can dazzle people. That perception is a human physiological factor which varies between people. Just like some people needing glasses. FWIW, Some countries in europe required yellow coloured fog lights, but no longer have the rule due to testing.
I prefer yellow for headlights, my H4 bulbs came from Europe. I've never had any yellow fogs so I can't say about that, but I like the supplemental light provided by what we could call 'fog' or 'driving' lights, which ever you prefer.

I will say though that I believe the science does support the fact that blue light is a problem, humans have great difficulty focusing on objects that illuminate in blue. Personally I just think the blue headlights are annoying and blue dash lights drive me crazy.

Steve

Attached Thumbnails '90 Dakota Sport fog lights-b3v_fr_end1.jpg  
Old 11-04-2017, 11:51 AM
onemore94dak
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by glenlloyd
I prefer yellow for headlights, my H4 bulbs came from Europe. I've never had any yellow fogs so I can't say about that, but I like the supplemental light provided by what we could call 'fog' or 'driving' lights, which ever you prefer.

I will say though that I believe the science does support the fact that blue light is a problem, humans have great difficulty focusing on objects that illuminate in blue. Personally I just think the blue headlights are annoying and blue dash lights drive me crazy.

Steve
Steve,

I was taught that "fog" lights are lights placed below the driving lights often below the bumper to light the road directly in front of the car in dense fog. I suppose like most things with cars people use the term in other ways or as they were taught.

RobertMc, Your argument seems pointless especially since you acknowledge it is the drivers eyes that count in deciding whether or not the yellow or white light helps them better. When I was a kid and first learned about fog lights I assumed white was better because it made things clearer in the dark. Then I got to drive a truck with them in dense fog and was basically blind. The light hit the low fog on the road and it was as if I were driving into a wall of cloud lit from below, there was no road or anything else in front of me to see. Yellow lights also glare but they are not blinding and they allow you to see the road in front of the car which is the whole point of fog lights, to light up a road covered in fog not to light the way down the road where you would be looking if the road was not covered in fog obscuring it and the lines curves etc.

Quick Reply: '90 Dakota Sport fog lights