1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

New 90 Vert Owner - Engine Swap

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2017, 02:51 PM
robertmee
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by T.C.
I just have to say that was an excellent thread, good job on your build. It just makes myself want to work on my truck build now.

I do have a couple of questions about your swap.
1) Did you ever dyno the 360, how much are you making? Do you know any tips and tricks for the engine that I have yet to realize?

2) You discussed that you swapped out the TC, since this is my first ever build, having a higher stall converter worth it, and worth the time and money?

3) The reason you went to Carb instead of mpi, is due to simplicity? Through your research were you able to find tune-able efi that could work with our wiring and or sensors, or should I redo everything.

Anyways that is an amazing build, and engine swap. I will be sure to submit my build soon enough.

Here is my engine that I rebuilt, I swap is happening at the end of June. It has jpeg heads, long tube headers, comp cam, aluminum mpi intake, S.A. Gear performance timing set with tensioner and a bunch of other stuff.
Thanks for the kind words...

1) No, I have not dyno'd the engine. It's a Mopar Crate 360/380HP engine, so presumably, it makes 380HP at the flywheel. No idea what it would do at the rear wheels.

2) Too soon to tell, but looking at the intake and cam that I have, MP recommended in the 2400 to 2800 stall range. So I went with a 2600. I had to do a custom TC anyway, as I kept my A500 and the bolt patterns are different...I could have elongated one hole on the flexplate and used an A500 stock converter, but I'd only save about $100 doing so, so I opted for the correct converter for my application.

3) Yes, simplicity and I already had the intake and carb. Not using EFI I was able to eliminate the ECU completely and half the engine wiring harness/sensors. Plus my truck started as a TBI so the harness wasn't in place to to MPI anyway. If I had started with a magnum engine harness and ECU I may have stayed that way. If I were going standalone management, I would divorce it completely from the ECU myself. Much easier to set up and maintain, IMO.

Nice engine....you didn't say what year Dak you were swapping into...makes a lot of difference on many things. Even though 87 to 96 are Gen I, 87 is different from 88 to 90, is different than 91, is different than 92 to 95 and different from 96.

Old 05-27-2017, 07:41 PM
robertmee
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So just to follow up on my transmission issues. Seems like the person I hired to rebuild it the first time was a crook. He didn't even touch the overdrive section. New guy that I found who is a world class transmission builder in business in my area for 20 years disassembled my A500 and showed me what he found. Indeed the pump had gone bad but there was so many issues with the rebuild it was pathetic. And the overdrive that I had bought all new parts for the rebuild weren't installed!! The sprag was trash with so much play it's so wonder it didn't shake itself to death. So the crook had kept all my performance parts and did much of nothing. Of course in the year the transmission sat on my shelf waiting for assembly he completely disappeared. Anyway I can only blame myself but its really disheartening there are people like that. The new builder kept my a500 case and basically built a V8 transmission with it...increased the clutch pack from 6 to 10 and dares me to kill it. Full year warranty and even offered to put a performance shift kit better than the trans go kit I have in it when I want to bring it back. Ran out of time as I wanted it back for a show today and he even came into work early on a Saturday so I could take it to the show. Cost me an arm and leg but for piece of mind worth it.

Old 05-27-2017, 07:57 PM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker
Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts

Glad you got the transmission worked out!! FWIW my transmission guy is not real crazy about the transgo shift kits. Cant remember the brand he does prefer.

Quick Reply: New 90 Vert Owner - Engine Swap