1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

1994 Dodge Dakota Scotty--Any Issues?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2013, 09:13 PM
Ashevillian
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1994 Dodge Dakota Scotty--Any Issues?

Hi,

I'm looking at a 1994 Dodge Dakota Scotty RV with the 318 V8 engine and an automatic transmission. It has 55,000 miles. I'm wondering if there are any issues I should know about with this truck/driveline? I saw a this one: http://www.haylettautoandrv.com/rv/c.../other+scotty+

Which is a 1992 with the same engine and I assume same transmission and it needed to be replaced at 41,000 miles...is this a common issue or a one off event?

Thanks

Old 09-30-2013, 12:30 AM
RockGuardedDak
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ashevillian
Hi,

I'm looking at a 1994 Dodge Dakota Scotty RV with the 318 V8 engine and an automatic transmission. It has 55,000 miles. I'm wondering if there are any issues I should know about with this truck/driveline? I saw a this one: http://www.haylettautoandrv.com/rv/c.../other+scotty+

Which is a 1992 with the same engine and I assume same transmission and it needed to be replaced at 41,000 miles...is this a common issue or a one off event?

Thanks
I've never seen anything like this before. I'm assuming its a custom rv, and has inspired me for when the old lady gets a new vehicle. However, I would assume that due to the weight that the transmission is always pulling, I'm willing to bet this setup would eat transmissions. That's a lot of weight to be pulling all the time. Especially if your pulling a boat behind you as well. That's too much weight for these automatic transmissions. I don't remember their limit, but maybe someone who knows will chime in.

If you bought it, it would be in your best interest to swap that automatic for a manual transmission

Old 09-30-2013, 12:35 AM
Cooreman
Veteran

That thing is wicked!

Old 09-30-2013, 01:07 AM
Brian in Tucson
All Star

Bet the quoted fuel mileage is a bit optimistic.

Old 09-30-2013, 12:11 PM
Cooreman
Veteran

That's when the interior is gutted aha, I wonder if it's a stock dakota drivetrain or things are slightly beafed up. Although this now means if some one gets bored enough we might see a double axled rear end In a dakota

Old 09-30-2013, 12:58 PM
Brian in Tucson
All Star

Originally Posted by Cooreman
That's when the interior is gutted aha, I wonder if it's a stock dakota drivetrain or things are slightly beafed up. Although this now means if some one gets bored enough we might see a double axled rear end In a dakota
The rear axle is just a tag axle--for taking up rear weight--all that body work plus a gas tank full of fuel is heavy.

I'll bet it ain't a 3:55 rear end. Ya know, if they could do it all with a Toyota Hilux (with a 4 cyl. engine) it shouldn't be too much of a problem doing it to a Dakota chassis.

Old 09-30-2013, 01:22 PM
RockGuardedDak
All Star

Originally Posted by Cooreman
Adding in a USEABLE 2nd axle would be how I would do it if I did do it. I'd want that 2nd axle to have drive as well as displace the weight. But that's a lot of custom work finding gears like that that would bolt into that carrier, either that or move the stock carrier to the very back, and find a different carrier that has input and output gears. By carrier, I mean the diff carrier.

I'm willing to bet that if they blew the tranny that soon, it's likely the stock drivetrain. Maybe 3.92's instead of 3.55's but that's it. Still, very intriguing for a project. I'd be interested in building one out of my old dak in the near future

Quick Reply: 1994 Dodge Dakota Scotty--Any Issues?