1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

'91 5.2 TBI suddenly stumbling/stalling

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2017, 06:41 PM
onemore94dak
Record Breaker
Received 131 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by Toby Warford
funny, everyone else does. And when I went to get my fuel pump replaced there was a 3 day wait. Guess why? Everywhere in town only had the 15 gallon pump. Rock auto is all but useless. I wish people would understand that. I honestly do not see the appeal of junkauto why everytbing thinks theyre the bees knees.
I made a sketch in paint. How is it that the pump would be different? They sit the same in the same spot. Its the same tank with one having an extra lobe added on as you can see. It isn't as if moving 22 gallons instead of 15 would require something different. I think your parts guys are messing with you.

Attached Thumbnails '91 5.2 TBI suddenly stumbling/stalling-sketch-gas-tanks.jpg  
Old 08-21-2017, 06:47 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by onemore94dak
I made a sketch in paint. How is it that the pump would be different? They sit the same in the same spot. Its the same tank with one having an extra lobe added on as you can see. It isn't as if moving 22 gallons instead of 15 would require something different. I think your parts guys are messing with you.
Dude, it's a Chrysler.

Chrysler.

The company whose selection criteria for which seal to use on rear axles sounded almost like "Well, was the axle assembled by Juan or John? And was he wearing a plaid shirt, a green shirt, or a blue shirt?" ...

They'd change things For No Good Reason That Anyone Else Could See.

At one time, they had three (!!) 383cid motors, whose parts would not swap.

OTOH - if you're rebuilding, it doesn't make any difference. The top hat may be different because it's a different tank; but the electric pump itself should swap.

RwP

Old 08-21-2017, 09:13 PM
onemore94dak
Record Breaker
Received 131 Likes on 123 Posts
Old 08-21-2017, 09:17 PM
Toby Warford
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by onemore94dak
you can look it up of it bothers you that much. But this was a mom and pop shop that my dad grew up with the owners of. Its not like they'd be keeping my truck there for ****s and giggles. Ftr, rock auto doesnt count as looking it up.

Old 08-22-2017, 06:58 PM
volaredon
Record Breaker
Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Toby Warford
you can look it up of it bothers you that much. But this was a mom and pop shop that my dad grew up with the owners of. Its not like they'd be keeping my truck there for ****s and giggles. Ftr, rock auto doesnt count as looking it up.
I have in the past put a 22 gallon tank where a 15 gallon tank originally sat. I took the same fuel pump from that 15 gallon tank and dropped it right into the 22 gallon tank, fit perfect, worked perfect. Same pump.
As I remember, 22 gallon tank was standard with 22 gallon tank, 15 was standard with standard cab and optional was the 22 in those.

In the past 4 months I have had to replace the fuel pumps in both my 92 and my 96 Dakotas, both 22 gallon tank. These pumps are different because the 92 has a return style system (2 lines feed and return) while the 96 is a returnless (single line) system. both 318. Both club cab. 92 is 2wd. 96 is 4wd. I was not asked for fuel tank size for either truck when I went to buy the replacement pump.
I do think it depends on what brand of pump application guide as to what they ask you to narrow down the original pump... but in the end within respective brands, you wind up with the same pump whether it is a 15 or a 22.

3 different 383s? No way. I do remember 2, both big block, one based on the low deck block and the other based on the RB "raised block"... the low deck was MUCH more common, the RB version was made only for a couple years when the "big block" was 1st developed. and yes, many parts do interchange.

Axle seals? I find the opposite. ALOT of times where the same axle seal will fit whether you have a 7-1/4 or 8-1/4 or even the 9-1/4 axle by the time the Dakotas were being made. thru the early 70s? yeah. the 7-1/4 was different. seals pressed on behind the bearing on the axle like the old stand-by 8-3/4 rear end did. but by the 90s the 7-1/4 and 8-1/4 took the same axle seal.
I have actually found more interchange with Chrysler over the years than GM... (corporately, not necessarily among separate individual car brands) that is why I started with Chrysler products when I started driving in the 80s and still can say today that I have never owned anything but, to this day!

Old 10-19-2017, 04:25 PM
bigdumbloser
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alright, aside from all the hate for Rock...

I'm coming back to this now - I got the wrong rebuild kit on the first try and have now installed the right one, and my life is now a different fresh hell. Before the pump replacement the truck ran. Then I changed the pump, and now it doesn't run. I just checked the new pump (a Performance) on my bench supply and it spins (much quieter than the old one, too).

So the next thing I've gotta check is whether it's being powered in the truck. With the key in RUN the pump connector isn't getting power, so it's beginning to smell like the harness was damaged in the course of dropping the tank, which would be weird because the harness seems pretty robust. But it'd sure be a lot nicer to try to chase this fault down with an accurate diagram. I just took a look at revbase.com and the page with the tank (pump and gauge sender) is there, but none of what drives it. Might anyone have a lead on the missing diagrams, perhaps the sheet that includes the ASD relay?

Old 10-20-2017, 09:04 AM
robertmee
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's on revbase: http://www.revbase.com/BBBMotor/Wd/DownloadPdf?id=11642

2nd page....the ASD relay

Old 10-20-2017, 02:28 PM
bigdumbloser
Rookie

Originally Posted by robertmee
It's on revbase: http://www.revbase.com/BBBMotor/Wd/DownloadPdf?id=11642

2nd page....the ASD relay
Ohferchrissakes... I downloaded that one already, but since the others in the same set were only one-page PDFs, I didn't notice that this one has four.

Thanks - I'm a total idiot.

It looks like I was on a snipe hunt anyway. The pump's running fine - I may simply have not had gas in the pump housing when I tried to start it after the install. I put the whole assembly in a coffee can full of gas and propped it up to mate with the connector, and after cranking for about a minute it primed up and is pushing fuel.

Is the the gas within that housing cylinder the reserve?

Old 10-20-2017, 02:50 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,178 Likes on 2,931 Posts

Originally Posted by bigdumbloser
Ohferchrissakes... I downloaded that one already, but since the others in the same set were only one-page PDFs, I didn't notice that this one has four.

Thanks - I'm a total idiot.

It looks like I was on a snipe hunt anyway. The pump's running fine - I may simply have not had gas in the pump housing when I tried to start it after the install. I put the whole assembly in a coffee can full of gas and propped it up to mate with the connector, and after cranking for about a minute it primed up and is pushing fuel.

Is the the gas within that housing cylinder the reserve?
It's designed to keep a bit of fuel around the pump intake when you are doing odd and strange things, like, braking hard, or really weird angles, when there isn't a lot of gas in the tank.

Old 10-20-2017, 02:55 PM
bigdumbloser
Rookie

Ah, okay - a buffer.