1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Took the bed off yesterday.

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2017, 07:53 AM
robertmee
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RalphP
It's a fairly safe bet that 1st gen tanks will fit.

Since it's mechanical pump now, you'll probably need to add a pressure regulator to whatever you use; I'd go for an earlier 1st gen when they had the bypass style regulator at the motor (1988 to 1993 IIRC) instead of the later ones with the regulator built into the pump assembly, but that's just me.

(1988's fuel gauge sender is also fixable for the common causes of no-gauge; something else to fix while the bed is currently off.)

The biggest problem here is that the tanks are at the very least drilled through to drain, if not cut right in half, at most boneyards.

RwP
Is your current fuel delivery return less or return. If it were me and you plan on carb I'd pull a fuel pump assembly from a 90 or similar. The fuel pumps are easy to replace and available and you can rebuild the sending unit. Then setup a return style system with external regulator. Holly makes a return regulator for carbs. It's the setup I have in my truck and works great.

Old 09-15-2017, 07:55 AM
tbugden
All Star
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I have an extra 1st gen tank out of a 94 with returnless style fuel system setup. You can have it but I don't imagine you're in the Connecticut area haha.

Old 09-15-2017, 11:30 AM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker
Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts

[QUOTE=RalphP;3357839]It's a fairly safe bet that 1st gen tanks will fit.

Since it's mechanical pump now, you'll probably need to add a pressure regulator to whatever you use; I'd go for an earlier 1st gen when they had the bypass style regulator at the motor (1988 to 1993 IIRC) instead of the later ones with the regulator built into the pump assembly, but that's just me.

(1988's fuel gauge sender is also fixable for the common causes of no-gauge; something else to fix while the bed is currently off.)

The biggest problem here is that the tanks are at the very least drilled through to drain, if not cut right in half, at most boneyards.

RwP[/QUOTE]

Yes, as I said the 1st gens are hard to find anymore..... Ill keep watching craigslist....(88-93)

Old 09-15-2017, 11:35 AM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by robertmee
Is your current fuel delivery return less or return. If it were me and you plan on carb I'd pull a fuel pump assembly from a 90 or similar. The fuel pumps are easy to replace and available and you can rebuild the sending unit. Then setup a return style system with external regulator. Holly makes a return regulator for carbs. It's the setup I have in my truck and works great.

Well the orig. was 5/16 supply, 1/4 return, through the mechanical pump.
But what I have now is a 3/8 line with about 6in. of 5/16 going into the tank. This has a carter 4070 pump mounted just in front of the tank on the frame rail. This is a rotary pump and a return is not necessary,
That goes straight to the carb with no return.

An intank pump with a pressure regulator (like you have is what I want.

But what I have will work until I find one.

Old 09-15-2017, 11:36 AM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by tbugden
I have an extra 1st gen tank out of a 94 with returnless style fuel system setup. You can have it but I don't imagine you're in the Connecticut area haha.

I appreciate the offer, but that would be one heck of a road trip from VA!!