1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Front bump stops

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2017, 09:23 AM
dakota1996
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front bump stops

I ordered bump stops for the front on my 96 and discovered the fronts don't really fit the original holes as well. And the lower bumps for the front are like non existent as far as getting new ones. My question Is has anybody just said screw it and left all the bump stops off and not had to be concerned with anything? My old ones were rusted all to pieces and not able to be put back. Do I really need them? Im not gonna be ramping the Truck or anything lol.

Old 09-18-2017, 01:31 PM
92DakotaClub
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dakota1996
I ordered bump stops for the front on my 96 and discovered the fronts don't really fit the original holes as well. And the lower bumps for the front are like non existent as far as getting new ones. My question Is has anybody just said screw it and left all the bump stops off and not had to be concerned with anything? My old ones were rusted all to pieces and not able to be put back. Do I really need them? Im not gonna be ramping the Truck or anything lol.
other then can fail an inspection(pending how picky mechanic is) and if you do bottom out its a hard hit possible damage/bending.. otherwise no.. I ran for few weeks till I got my short short stoppers installed never had an issue but never bottomed out either..

Old 09-19-2017, 03:57 PM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker
Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts

Mine are missing. Have been for a long time. But I live 30 miles outside of DC. So the only dirt my truck sees is when I pull it in my back yard!! Have not had a problem, but pot holes are as rough as it gets for me.

Old 09-19-2017, 04:38 PM
tbugden
All Star
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

The bottom ones on my '93 we're rotted off as I recall and I think one of the upper was gone too, but there were no apparent issues with the control arms hitting metal on metal or anything. And the truck did see some off road, even smashed and bent the tranny cross member ha

Old 09-23-2017, 01:39 AM
dakota1996
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay so a few of you have left them off and Haven't had any trouble that's what I was curious about bc there aren't any replacements I have found anywhere.