1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Stalling problem driving me batty

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2018, 03:07 PM
Mixineer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stalling problem driving me batty

Truck is a 94 Dakota 3.9 with 220k miles. I’ve got a random stalling/no start issue that I cannot seem to pinpoint. When she runs, she runs perfect. Lately it’ll shut down randomly when driving or idling at a light. No CEL. Totally random. All gauges are normal. Will start right up after a stall most of the time. I’ve changed the idle air control valve... seemed better for a week or two then started acting up again. Have wiggled harnesses and cleaned electrical connections to no avail.
I don’t want to start throwing parts at it w/o some direction or help. Thanks a bunch all! BTW... my old moniker was soundguy. Deleted old email addy so can’t recover old PW.

Last edited by Mixineer; 01-22-2018 at 03:47 PM. Reason: Adding personal info.
Old 01-25-2018, 08:28 AM
smokin1994
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My 94 was doing the same thing. I changed the ignition switch and the coil at the same time...both purchased off Amazon.

Not sure which one was the fix. One thing I noticed was that after stalling the dash lights were still on.

Like $35 plus an hour of labor.

Old 01-25-2018, 10:47 PM
Toby Warford
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its the iac. I bet you put. Parts store sensor on it. Best thing is get a multimeter and test all sensors at the throttle body and only replace them with mopar sensors.

Old 01-26-2018, 11:35 AM
Mixineer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys, it was the crankshaft positioning sensor. Talked it over with my mechanic and he suggested checking that first. Come to find out, it had a crack in it so moisture was getting in. We also changed the coil because of a low reading. I changed the IAC out a couple months ago. Old one was carboned up but that wasn’t the problem. Been driving it with no problems yet. Thanks again for your replies!

Quick Reply: Stalling problem driving me batty