Go Back  DodgeForum.com > Dodge Trucks > Dodge Dakota > 1st Gen Dakota
Reload this Page > Trans shifting weirdly
1st Gen Dakota '96 & Older Dakota's

Trans shifting weirdly

Old 01-19-2018, 07:44 PM
Toby Warford
Captain
Default Trans shifting weirdly

So, now ive put some miles on my 5.9 swap, there one small hiccup. 3-4 shift hangs at 2000 rpms through town. At first I didnt Think nothing of it thinking the computer needed time to relearn itself. Now in thinking tv cable. No engine codes. WOT shifts are fine. TC lockup also seems a little off. The only thing that's changed is the engine swap. The trans wasn't changed. Though th tv cable was probably taken off when the tb was removed.

If 1-2 and 2-3 seems fine, would a slightly out of adjustment tv cable cause 3-4 shift slightly later? Or maybe its just the 5.9 tune? If I ever so slightly ease off the throttle it shifts as it should. I mean a feather pressure difference off the throttle and all is good.

thanks for any info. I know squat about transmissions..

Old 01-20-2018, 10:05 AM
HeyYou
Super Moderator

What year is the trans?

Old 01-20-2018, 10:14 AM
Toby Warford
Captain

Originally Posted by HeyYou View Post
What year is the trans?
96... Not that that really matters..

Old 01-20-2018, 10:26 AM
HeyYou
Super Moderator

Hhhmmmm...... it's just a solenoid for both TCC, and O/D....... Good connection at trans? Maybe a questionable ground on the PCM? Marginal sensor?

I think mine would hit tcc and O/D right about 45 mph....... supposedly, trans temp needs to be above 108 as well, but, I would drive less than a mile, in the dead of winter, and still get O/D as soon as I got to 45 mph....... I don't think the trans warms up THAT quickly......

Old 01-20-2018, 11:03 AM
Toby Warford
Captain

Originally Posted by HeyYou View Post
Hhhmmmm...... it's just a solenoid for both TCC, and O/D....... Good connection at trans? Maybe a questionable ground on the PCM? Marginal sensor?

I think mine would hit tcc and O/D right about 45 mph....... supposedly, trans temp needs to be above 108 as well, but, I would drive less than a mile, in the dead of winter, and still get O/D as soon as I got to 45 mph....... I don't think the trans warms up THAT quickly......
I guess thats possible. But I don't think so being everything was fine before the swap. Nd since I didn't do it.. Im mainly asking if the tv being out of adjustment could give the symptoms I gave. Or if that's just how the 5.9 computer is in a ram..

Old 01-20-2018, 01:00 PM
Toby Warford
Captain

Well. I might have alieved it a little bit. There was undue slack in the throttle cable. I kind jerry rigged it. Its not proper but it'll due for now. I didn't make it too much tighter, just take the slack out and I can always take off what I did with two snips..

On the other hand, I did get my new light bar on today. And I got the iac issue settled. Swapped sensors off the 5.9 tb, cleaned it and out it on. No more stalling. Lol. The one I took off was encho en Mexico. The one I put on was oem.