1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Check Engine Light On

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2004, 01:53 AM
Muzzle Loader
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check Engine Light On

I have a 1999 Dodge Durango, 165,000 miles, and recently the Check Engine Light has started coming on. It is always OBD Code P0307, Cylinder #7 misfire detected. I have changed the distributor cap, rotor, plug wires, plugs, and compression is good (105 psi).
I can reset the Check Engine Light by disconnecting the battery, but after several engine starts (no particular number) and miles (a few to a few hundred) it will come back on. I then disconnect the battery again, turn the light off and start all over. The engine does not run rough or appear to be misfiring. Does anyone have any ideas?

Old 09-03-2004, 06:36 PM
GMsucks
Record Breaker
Default RE: Check Engine Light On

Did you change all these parts at the same time or over a period of time while troubleshooting?

Old 09-03-2004, 10:57 PM
Muzzle Loader

The parts were all replaced probably over a two week period.

Old 09-06-2004, 02:59 AM
AndrewH
Rookie

A friend of mine had a 1999 dakota 4x4 with the 5.2 and had a simular code (I don't think it was that exact same one), but it turned out the code he was getting was a domino code. As in this thing failed, so this thing failed, so this thing failed which caused the light. It turned out his TB vacuum had a 1/2" hole in it. He said it was causing a noticable power drop, but since he had 150,000 miles he figure it was do to engine wear. He eventually took the entire intake train out (for a check up), replace the vacuum hose that had the hole and didn't have any other problems. You my want to take it down to your local dealer and get an $80 dionostics test just to be sure.

BTW.... my friend used only syn oil and the top of that engine with 150,000 miles looked new. I now only use syn oil in all my vehicals.

Quick Reply: Check Engine Light On