1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Best repair manual for 1st gen Durango?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 02:35 PM
M Shark
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best repair manual for 1st gen Durango?

Hello guys! Just to let you know, I only have basic mechanical repair skills so I need a repair manual that's easy to use and complete with clear explanation, pictures, etc. I do my own maintenance on my cars and I would like to start working on the Durango.

The heaviest amount of work I am capable of doing is changing the rotors, brake pads and doing mild suspension work such as replacing tie rod ends.

Among the 3 repair manuals, which one would fit my needs?

1. Chilton
2. HP Repair manual
3. Haynes

Or if there is any other brand please chime in. Thanks in advance!

Old 04-23-2007, 08:08 PM
jonnymagnum
Grand Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Best repair manual for 1st gen Durango?

I would go with a chilton.

there is a 2001-04 dakota manual floating around here and the dak section somewhere. its a free download. it gives tons of information.

Old 05-15-2007, 01:57 AM
cstradling24

I had the Haynes manual but I decided to take the approach that repair shops use. Most I have been to use something called AllData.com. You go on there and for the first car you get a subscription for $24. They have everything you could need for your car and the pictures are for just your year, make, and model, not a range of different makes and models. You also can search by symptom and you even can get price quotes for parts right from the manual. Go to www.alldatadiy.com. Auto-zone owns it.

Old 05-15-2007, 07:01 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

TY for the info guys.

Old 02-03-2010, 07:25 PM
bigalzoto1
Default Newbie 2010

Hello all

wonderful forum, I just joined and have been reading non-stop! Lots of valuable info thanks to some really knowledgable people. I have a question: I noticed that a previous poster mentioned that there was a free download for a service, or repair manual, for a Dakota. Any chance of a free download for same for a 1998 Dodge Durango SLT 5.2L, (single exhaust0? I bought it about three weeks ago (cheap) from my neighbor, who just wanted to be rid of it because of numerous problems, mainly that it never started. I'm going to get it going so I can sell it, as I already have four vehicles! I have a very good grasp of mechanical and electrical automotive matters. Used to race and work on all kinds of cars back in the good old 60's. I don't want to spend big bucks on a shop book, or AllDataDIY. Anyway, I have the D pretty much fixed up and cleaned up. Spent over $300 so far. Took it out for a test drive, and the check engine light came one. One time it stalled a couple of miles from home, and I had to call my wife to come and tow me home with a tow strap!! So...........I borrowed an OBD11 from a buddy's buddy, and got a code for oxygen sensor "P0138". I could put this in myself, but I would like some more specific directions, i.e., exploded diagrams, splice of wires, things like that. Can anyone out there be of assistance? These forums are usually a treasure trove of help, and I am hoping to get lucky. Thanks!

Old 02-03-2010, 11:11 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

get an oem replacement which will just plug in, always the best way to go, and a chilton or haynes manual the only manual i know of available online is the shop manual for a 2002 DURANGO, nothing afaik for the dakotas

Quick Reply: Best repair manual for 1st gen Durango?