engine oil/tranny fluid

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2007, 11:25 AM
tbasse01
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine oil/tranny fluid

hi I am new here

bought a 2002 durango SXT4.7 v8 with 54k or 33000 miles from a dealer, the owners manual has been lost somehow (I will get on ebay) if dealer cant get me one free of charge

here are the questions

what weight of oil? - i think it is 5w30 **there is nothing written on the oil fill cap**
what tranny fluid atf 3 or atf 4 ?

with the oil weight should I run the same weight in a synthetic oil say mobil 1?

another question my durango does not have a seperate tranny cooler, but I think it has the one in the radiator if it does not have a external? am I correct in assuming that or should I just crawl under the beast and trace lines back, just for my own sanity!

thanks in advance

Troy

Old 05-05-2007, 02:22 PM
n8ech
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: engine oil/tranny fluid

Hi Troy, and congrats on the purchase.

Per the manual, you will want to run 5w30 in the motor, and if you choose a synthetic oil so much the better. I like the Mobil 1 Wal Mart 5 quart jugs, but I am sure that Royal Purple, Castrol, and Amsoil are good also. Just make sure you keep your reciepts if you have or will be buying an extended warranty.

The trans will need ATF+ 4 which you can also buy at WM. I would not recomend using any other product that claims to be compatible. History shows that this is not true, and the results can be expensive.

Re the tranny cooler. It sits down low in front of your AC condensor which is in front of the radiator. If your 02 has the Tow Group like my 01 does, you should find it there.

Don

Old 05-05-2007, 06:50 PM
tbasse01
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for the help

It is really atf 4 suprising for a 2002

thanks

Troy

Old 05-05-2007, 10:12 PM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ATF 4 for all DC vehicles just keep that in mind. Also the tranny has cooling lines that go into the radiator if you don't have the external cooler but it isn't as efficient and if you plan on towing get a tranny cooler they are CHEAP.

Old 05-06-2007, 07:52 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 98 Likes on 83 Posts

When a dealer changes oil on all dodge products, they have a sheet for all models on what oil goes into engine and auto trans, as well manual and transfer cases. By rule if there nothing on the cap, then you can use 10/30 or 5/30.

Quick Reply: engine oil/tranny fluid