1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Does anyone know?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2007, 09:11 PM
chemoman
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does anyone know?

Doe anyone have any experience with either of these? http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/V...012675/c-10614

My plan, finally, is to go with bored T.B. from the fastman, headman shorties into single cat with single cherry bomb. I just can't find a local shop that can give me a solid answer on the cat. I would hope that these being vehicle specific that they would be fine, but I want the most flow while staying epa legal.

Old 05-05-2007, 10:04 PM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Does anyone know?

I would say as long as you don't have emissions in the area you live in go for the high flow cats but don't get those ones. Cats are a lot cheaper than that even after install. Just shop around and you should be able to get one for under $100 installed.

Old 05-05-2007, 10:38 PM
chemoman
Rookie

So, what you're saying is thata high flowcat is going to flunk my emission test?

Old 05-05-2007, 11:04 PM
Mean Green
Champion

It is a possibility... Give it a shot and see, Also you shouldn't have any problems as long as they don't put your car on a dyno. I just found out here in Reno they just hook their computer up to your OBD connector rather than a sniffer. If that's the case just make sure everything is up to snuff and you have your o2 sensors where they need to be.

Old 05-06-2007, 01:20 AM
chemoman
Rookie

That's all they do here too. No exhaust check or dyno. Just plug into the OBD hit the brakes and horn. $42 (It's the bridge tax)later and you're out the door. I just don't want to get stuck with an over priced paper weight if it throws a code and it won't pass inspection.
I feel like I'm kicking a dead horse, but there has to be someone on this forum who has high flow cats AND has to pass emission testing.

Old 05-06-2007, 02:10 AM
Mean Green
Champion

Well I'm thinking about it myself but I just did my emissions so I won't know for another year.

I would think it's fine since they aren't forcing it to be a gas hog on a dyno. In NY I would probably fail and all I have is an exhaust and my intake because they run it up to about 4-4500 rpm's with the sniffer. I was talking to the person that did my emissions and she told me that a high flow isn't a big deal as long as you don't try to get away without running the o2 sensors and being that her and her husband own the emissions place I'll take her word for it.

Old 05-06-2007, 03:25 AM
jonnymagnum
Grand Champion

well.......I have a magnaflow highflow cat. and mine failed the e test. but that was because of my O2 sensor. I replaced that and it passed with flying colours.

Old 05-06-2007, 04:08 AM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Our stock Durango cats are VERY good and hiflow in their own right. DCX got them dead on right. Spending $$$ on aftermarket cats is a no-no. **IF** you really need a new cat, get a stocker.

IndyDurango

Old 05-06-2007, 06:32 PM
chemoman
Rookie

ORIGINAL: IndyDurango

Our stock Durango cats are VERY good and hiflow in their own right. DCX got them dead on right. Spending $$$ on aftermarket cats is a no-no. **IF** you really need a new cat, get a stocker.

IndyDurango
By "our" I assume that you mean durango owners. It seems to me that I'd be wasting my money dumping headers into a single stock cat. As far as "need," I don't need most of the things I have. I "want" more power. Living in the metromess I have to abide by their laws and that is what's giving me a head ache.

Old 05-07-2007, 07:28 AM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

LOL.. yea, in the Durango forum, "our" means Durango.

I have headers, and the cat does fine. Like I said, DCX got it right and it flows nicely.

IndyD