1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Loss of all guages

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2007, 11:47 PM
cesspool
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loss of all guages

I hit a bump today and all my guages went dead and most the lights on the dash lit up. The Odo read "no bus". I searched the forums and found 3 posabilities:

Dead cell in battery
Crankshaft sensor of some sort
PCM

How do I find the cause? I go on a camping trip in like 7 days and the D is my only towing vehicle

Just in case: 99D, 360, SLT+

Thanks!!

Old 05-17-2007, 06:50 AM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Loss of all guages

unplug the PCM connections and replug them. Sounds like they came loose? If that isn't it, well.... ctm unplugged maybe? Get some new shocks!

IndyD

Old 05-17-2007, 10:47 AM
cesspool
Professional

Where is this PCM thing at?

Thanks

Old 05-17-2007, 12:57 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

You can have Auto Zone load test your battery and that will tell you if you have a bad cell. I would take the positive cable off for 1 min and cycle the key on and off a few times. Then rehook it up again and this will reset the computer. Try this first.

Old 06-06-2007, 01:13 AM
cesspool
Professional

All right, I had the battery tested. It's fine. The PCM and all 3 connections going into it are fine. The lights/guages act up so randomly. I am led to believe it is a lose something somewhere. If the computer was bad, I would assume it would die like others have when this all happened. But NOTHING happens mechanically. I did notice. My cruise Control works fine when the lights are on and the guages are dead. But the lights don't show up. Then when everything kicks back on, the cruise lights come on.

Is there a plug that all the dash wires come out under the dash somehwere? A guy at advance said something about a guy who's plug was lose, but hecouldn't remember if it was a Durango, or jeep.

Old 06-06-2007, 07:51 PM
cesspool
Professional

My wife went out today and got a piece of molding for our camper. My uncle hit the camper with his tractor and pulled up the molding and bent it. So while I was at work she went and got it. 8 foot section. On the way home she hit the brakes (kinda hard she says) and the molding slid forward and rammed the dash right under the rear defrost button. The "no bus" came on, guages went dead and when she got home she turned the truck off and then it wouldn't start back up. I got home and the truck wouldn't start because a battery cable came loose, from where I had it tested last night. I apparently did a pour job putting the neg cable on... so anyway, truck started right back up. But the guages were still dead, lights on and "no bus". So she showed me where the molding rammed the dash, I smacked it a bit on the underbelly under the radio and such, and BAM!! Everything comes back on. So apparently I have a loose something there. I'm just happy My game of hot and cold seems to be getting hotter!!!

Old 06-06-2007, 08:17 PM
Durango911
Professional

I had this same exact problem before. The gauge cluster is probably loose,just push on it and it should pop back in.

Quick Reply: Loss of all guages