1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Gas Max Micro Tuner is it any good???

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 04:22 PM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Gas Max Micro Tuner is it any good???

I added a dodgechart feature list of what the hyper programmer III can do and cannot do for Dodge vehicles from my hyperprogrammer message in the root of the dodge forum section if anyone is interested.

Old 05-31-2007, 04:25 PM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh yeah Indy??? Elaborate please.

Old 05-31-2007, 04:43 PM
Kensai
Champion

I am using the Champion Iridium truck plugs and and I can really notice alot of improvements on how the engine starts and idles. Hopefully I can really get over 100k miles out of these plugs as advertised by champion. I been taking the plugs outannually to inspect them and they are all burning really clean. Well worth the extra money!

Old 06-01-2007, 03:04 AM
IndyDurango
Champion

The basics... too hot a plug = predetonation = pinging = bad

Our Magnums hate too hot of plugs = some believe that, some don't. You have pinging, you should believe it.

Results = stock Champions... should be okay all things considered and all in perfect order, good fuel, etc and zero miles. Since your D isn't new, time to reevaluate.

Results = Bosch Platinum... simply too hot of a plug, not good, see above. Avoid these plugs in our magnum 5.9Ls and all else like them.

Results = Anyone with 5.9Ls should look into Autolite 3924s as replacement plugs. Note, they are 1 step COOLER than stock (less predet/pinging.) Also, nowhere except from real users will you read a compatiblity chart that says they work for our 5.9Ls. They do but are not listed. The provide less heat, less/no pinging, MORE horsepower. The downside, change them every 36,000 miles or so... not the 60,000 stockers will get you.

Not applicabe for 4.7Ls. In their case, use stockers OR NGKs at the same heat level or one step cooler.

You can get a two pack at Walmart for about $2.50, a 4 pack at the autoparts store of $7 and there is a rebate form on the Autolite site to get someo f the cash back making then on sale at about 99¢ each. For less than a dollar a plug after rebate, no pinging and more power = Autolite 3924s are money well, if not the best, spent.

HTH

IndyDurango

Old 06-01-2007, 06:10 AM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Interesting, Thanks Indy!

Old 06-03-2007, 03:32 AM
Lil Red Mopar
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine seats 8 belted in, 3 3 2 got front bench seat!I'll never let anyone sit in that front center one though, cause no elbow room.
I 'm gett'n the hyper tech on Monday , and a tb from the fast man later also,thanks for the link, thank you both IndyDurango and MeanGreen for saving me $$ and finding me another toy for theD . I'll just tell the wife it'll make the D's mpg better as the reason for needing it LOL.Who cares aboutgas mileage anyway the D is always ask'n for the right foot, that's why I got it cause it's fun to drive and it fits the wife and kids.
ORIGINAL: Mean Green

Seats 7 with the seatbelts.

You can do everything you said with the superchips or hypertech and since the hypertech is on sale now like Ken said I'd go with that if I were you.

Old 06-05-2007, 03:02 AM
Kensai
Champion

Lil Red Mopar,

Please let me know ASAP on any improvements of your D after you used the Hypertech programmer!!! I got the green light to buy it now but I like to get one more opinion from another fellow Hypertech programmer user before I throw in the money! I am mainly want to know if you really feel the difference after the programming. I am wanting to buy the programmer mainly so I can switch to regular unleaded fuel as the premium fuel is getting way too expensive! Here in DFW, the gap between regular and premium is getting wider and wider. Over 6 months ago, the gap was roughly around 15-20 cents difference. Now it has hit 25-30 cents difference. It's getting unreal! That .25 cent difference really adds up for these thirsty big gas tank durangos!

Old 06-06-2007, 02:02 AM
Lil Red Mopar
Rookie

How much is gas in your parts ? We pay 87= 3.15 , 89= 3.25 , 91= 3.35 as of today at the Chevron near my house.

As far as the hypertec trick goes I'm waiting for it to ship. Weird thing is once I filledthe Dodgewith 91oct fuel and it ran like crap.That was with no mods, completely stock setup at the time. Ever since I've stuck with 87 oct, it ran really bad on the 91, it pinged like I pissed in the tank. Maybe the computer dosen't automatically compinsate the air/fuel mix for high octane fuel. The Dodge is the only vehicle I have experienced this problem with. Sorry about the programmer thing as it'll be a few weeks before I get or use it, but I'll let ya know what it does for 87oct by math from a full up to the filler neck tank of gas.Unfortunately I'm not expecting some kind of miracle on mpg improvement, when I installed my cold air intake the overhead display went from 9.8 mpg avg to 10.4, not much there and I don't really know how it was before the mod as I did that after only 3 weeks of owning it.To add to the problem traffic on my work/home route has increased 10 fold. It used to take me 15 min to get home and now it's stop and go hell for 30-45 min. So hold on to your $$$ for now.

Old 06-07-2007, 06:11 PM
Kensai
Champion

Welp, I went ahead and ordered the Hypertech III programmer. I'll let ya'll know the results when I get it and run some tests.

Old 06-07-2007, 08:04 PM
Lil Red Mopar
Rookie

Kensai , cool I'll be watch'n for your post. It might take me an extra while, because the wife is threatening to pop out our third child, she's downstairs making her baby care bag as I write this, so if I'm mia for a while that's why.

Quick Reply: Gas Max Micro Tuner is it any good???