1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Tires

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2007, 09:59 PM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Tires

Tirerack wanted 125 a tire for my BFG's, I got them at costco for the same price. $640 for 5 after tax and that's mounting, balancing, nitrogen filled, blah blah blah.

Old 06-04-2007, 08:44 PM
2000RT
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Kensai,

I purchased the Bridgstone Dueler HP's and love them. Great all around tire, good
on dry, wet, snow and mud. Very smooth and quiet.

Check them out

ORIGINAL: Kensai

Welp, I am driving on borrowed time on my Comp T/A's (50k miles already)for my R/T. The bad news is that BFG no longer manufactures Comp T/A's much less a performance type tire for my particular tire size 275-60-17. I do not really care for their LongTrail T/A's. I do not want to go back to Goodyears unless I don't have a choice.

Any R/T owners out there that tried other brands and is it still available for the tire size for the R/T's? I really like to hear your opinions. I definitely will be required to blow some cash by this fall/winter season.

Thanks,

Old 06-04-2007, 09:02 PM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin

I personally will never buy another Goodyear Eagle tire......because they always seem to wear out early and have less then desirable performance. Again, this is just my personal view on them.

I went from the Goodyear Eagle to the Kumho Ecsta STX's on my Dakota.....and they were quite good. Low road noise, good traction on even wet surfaces, and did alright in the snow. They werent very expensive either.

I guess it really just comes down to what kind of driving you do, not to mention the area you live in. Some are always better then others. I'm laughing at some of these reviews on TireRack.

2001 GMC Sierra 2wd More Tire Reviews for This Vehicle

Miles driven on tires:

Driving Condition:

All On Road

Driving Style:
Average

good tire if you have a pit crew in garage to rotate tire every 100 miles/ran these 5000 mi. was ready to rotate and front tires were bald inside of tire to half way out also they were coning.this also caused my lugs to snap off when cornering.also they do ride very ruff do not drink coffee while riding these tires you will be wearing it for sure!
-- Review Submitted 2007-05-23
Sounds to me like someone had issues with their truck, and wanted to blame it on the tire.

Old 06-05-2007, 02:56 AM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree, I usually do not prefer goodyears. They are good tires at the beginning but as they age, their performance drops and the rubber easily dry rots after a few years. I never had issues with BFG's as I have stuck to BFG's on all my cars and trucks in the past 20 years. Now they do not make a performance tire for my R/T, I am left with very few choices. I was going to choose either Kuhmo's or the Yokohama's but the Eagle RSA's lighter weight factor caught my eye. I will confirm with Sam's Club to see how much the Eagle tire really weighs. If I can shave off an average of 40 lbs total from the tires, I can problaby gain some gas mileage. Less mass for the engine to turn.

One thing for sure, the performance Eagle RSA's are much better than that all season Eagle GT+4 II's. I think the GT+4 II's were the OEM that came with the R/T.

Tire Rack info says that:

Kuhmo's and Yokohama's weighs in about 38-40 lb per tire

Eagle RSA weighs in at 30 lb per tire

Michelin Cross Terrain weighs in at 32 lb per tire

The michelins runs almost $50 more per tire vs the eagle RSA's. Sams sell RSA's for $142 each. Costo has the michelins for $189 I think.

I will have to check with discount tire to see if they carry that particular Kuhmo's or Yokohama's and get some pricing on those but I would assume it would be close to the price of the RSA's.

Old 06-06-2007, 12:13 AM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin

Discount Tire carries the Kumho's, because that's where I bought mine. I paid $540 for 4 tires, mounted & balanced, plus the road hazard.

Choosing a lighter tire could also mean that you have to worry about the durability too.......as they may be more liable to be damaged.

Quick Reply: Tires