1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Tires

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 06:40 PM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Tires

Welp, I am driving on borrowed time on my Comp T/A's (50k miles already)for my R/T. The bad news is that BFG no longer manufactures Comp T/A's much less a performance type tire for my particular tire size 275-60-17. I do not really care for their LongTrail T/A's. I do not want to go back to Goodyears unless I don't have a choice.

Any R/T owners out there that tried other brands and is it still available for the tire size for the R/T's? I really like to hear your opinions. I definitely will be required to blow some cash by this fall/winter season.

Thanks,

Old 06-01-2007, 12:45 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Default RE: Tires

I think that Dunlop makes a good tire for ya?

Old 06-01-2007, 09:56 PM
cesspool
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try EBAY maybe. Or call some big tire chains, thery maybe able to locate some in someone's inventory somewhere.

Old 06-01-2007, 11:40 PM
Last Of The R/Ts
Record Breaker

At my business, we use American Tire Distributors, you might want to visit their website.....

Old 06-02-2007, 02:16 AM
Kensai
Champion

Looking at tire rack, I saw some of these tires and the price isn't all that bad.

Yokohama AVS S/T

Kumho Ecsta STX

Goodyear Eagle RS-A

Michelin Cross Terrain SUV

I am glad that the tire rack has alot of information on these tires. After doing alot of comparisons, I may end up with either the Goodyear Eagle RS-A or Michelin Cross Terrain SUV. Mainly because they have the widest foot print but most importantly they are the lightest weight tires. Goodyear is rated at 32 lbs and Michelin is rated at 30 lbs. So less weight on the tires, less gas used to turn those tires. Plus those two tires have low rolling resistance so hopefully this will help give me better mileage also.

Most other tires in the same size weighs from 38-40 lbs ea.

Old 06-02-2007, 02:03 PM
Bluedodge99
Professional

Stay away from tire rack and online retailers
mainly because you have to buy the tire from them pay shipping for each tire then you have to pay for someone to install them and noone can warranty them but who you got em from its a hassle if you get them from an actual store they can do the work and service free. I work at R&M tire and we sell a set we warranty them and incude free rotation,repairs,rebalance and if a belt slips or what not we can pro rate them and get your warranty. Id recommend firestone destination LE they have a 30 day test drive try em out you'll be amazed also they have glass and sand in the compound to increases wet and dry traction as well as increases treadwear

Old 06-02-2007, 02:40 PM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^ I agree with what you said. The nice thing about tirerack is that you can get reviews on many tires and see what will work with your application without being on the phone forever or bouncing from one site to the next. Ultimately Costco was the choice for me. They are everywhere and offer a 55k mile warranty on their tires, free rotation and balance, They'll plug them, So just basically anything that can happen to a tire they cover.

Old 06-03-2007, 12:30 PM
M Shark
Professional

I've always bought my tires from Tirerack. They are way cheaper than what you'll get from your local tire dealer. Shipping isn't expensive too! For 4 tires I usually pay about $20 shipping. I bought tires for my cars several times over the decade and they are on average 40 dollars cheaper than what was offered by the locals. (Most locals also get their tires from Tirerack!)

One secret, locals will offer price matching with online retailers. If you can find one that will pricematch Tirerack, then my hat's off! They'll usually say, "Oh, that's where we get our tires from. I'm sorry we can't match that."

But if you can persuade them to get the price to equal or near what you would pay Tirerack for shipping, mounting, balancing, etc, then go for the local seller.

But if not, go for Tirerack. That would equate to 160 dollar savings on average! Tirerack also warranties their tires as well. So don't be afraid. From my buying experience, I've never had a tire that went bad, so what's there to warranty??

Also I've never had problems with other tire dealers installing tires I've bought from Tirerack. Yes,you'll pay for the extra mounting and balancing but you've already saved a lot to begin with in the first place.

Over the years I can say I've saved thousands already on tires alone.

Give it a try and compare with your locals.

Old 06-03-2007, 01:26 PM
Kensai
Champion

I usually prefer to buy the tires locally. It's getting the tire warrantied that is alot of paperwork and you always have to have 2 parties involved in something like this (the installer and the parts businesses). and alot of times, they would start point fingers at each other! bleh, been there, done that and wouldn't wanna be ya. So I rather pay the extra $160 bucks that I would normally would have saved and just deal with the local tire store for any issues I may have in the future with my tires.

But I do love tire rack'sdetailed descirption of their tires and their user reviews. After doing more local tire searching, I will be going with the Goodyear GS-A's from Sams club. no one else other than goodyear carries these! They are the lightest weight and have overall good performanace rating in dry,wet,snow, road noise from all the others. It is a real performance tire as opposed to the others that are more general SUV tire.

Old 06-03-2007, 09:31 PM
M Shark
Professional

Warranties are for electronics.

Tires are for burnouts, donuts and auto-cross. LOL!

Anyway, good luck!

Quick Reply: Tires