tranny return line

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2007, 01:31 PM
tbasse01
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tranny return line

hi guys

i want to install a tranny cooler, mine has the one in the rad which imo is not very efficient

so

which line into the rad is the in and which is return ie top or bottom

should I run the cooler inline off the return to get the coolest fluid back to the tranny? makes sense to me rather than cooling it thenputting back into rad to get heated back up again buy the coolant

or

should I just by-pass the whole rad cooling all together?

Troy

2002 4.7L DURANGO SXT 4X4

Old 06-02-2007, 02:50 PM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: tranny return line

Well I looked in my manual and it looks like the return line is the one on thepassenger side... There isn't a view from the side to see which would be on top...

Old 06-02-2007, 03:06 PM
tbasse01
Rookie

mean green

they are both on the passenger, fluid in and the return line. I can see them lying on my back under the truck I need 2 know which is the return line?

Troy

2002 durango SXT 4.7L 4X4

Old 06-03-2007, 07:26 PM
tbasse01
Rookie

anyone?

someone must know which line in the rad is the return?

thanks

Troy

2002 4.7L SXT 4X4

Old 06-03-2007, 10:09 PM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would say take a drive when you get wherever you're going turn it off and feel the 2 lines whichever is hotter is the inlet, cooler the return...

Old 06-04-2007, 12:56 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

That wont work. I beleive the bottom one is the return line. The way I did mine was I took one line off (Mine has the trany cooler OEM so it was easy to find) and had the wife turn the truck over but not start it. The trany fluid shot out of the hose about 8 feet so be careful. I knew at that moment that I had the right one for sure. The trany lines have check valves in them right by the black line connection to steal. The connection is part of the check valve so make sure that you don't take them out on install.
I cut it and installed the second trany cooler in between the condenser and the radiator like the OEM. Basicly my trany fluid flows into the radiator to warm it when it is cold and also to help it cool when it is hot, then runs into the OEM trany cooler and then into the performance cooler then finally back into the trany. My trans is running very cool and responds well when hot or towing. But then again I have a lot of $ in my trans that I don't want to ruin.

Old 06-07-2007, 12:50 AM
partsjockey

Just did one on my 01 5.9 Durango a few hrs ago, The bottom line is the return.

Old 06-07-2007, 02:36 PM
United1
Professional

I recently put one on my 1st gen 4.7 as well. Real easy to tell which one is the supply and which one is the return. Start the truck cold, foot on the brake, put in drive, shut down after about 15 seconds. Go under and touch both lines at the radiator. The one that is significantly warmer is the supply to the radiator (from the trans). I ran mine from the trans to the radiator to the external cooler back to the trans.
Easy to do, good luck.

Old 06-07-2007, 04:28 PM
duff73
Rookie

I have been reading that if you mount a tranny cooler in front of the rad, the hood won't close. Anybody know of an alternate location? Under the truck?

Old 06-07-2007, 05:22 PM
United1
Professional

Under the truck, in my opinion, won't do much for you. The point of the design of the cooler is to move air across the fins, which will disipate the heat. Not much air flow under the truck, not to mention potential for something to get kicked up into it. I putmy Hayden, which is roughly if I remember rightabout 10" x 13" x about an 1"-1.5" thickin front, right behind the grill. No problems with clearance.

Quick Reply: tranny return line