1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Viper Fan upgrade....worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2007, 11:25 AM
cesspool
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Viper Fan upgrade....worth it?

Does anyone know how much CFM the Viper fan throws out and how much the stock fan is?

I would like to do the Viper fan, for the "direct fit" purpose alone, but Keeping the truck cool when towing is pretty important. I wouldn't care so much for a toggle switch, I mean look how many things we adjust when driving. I've had to fool around with my brake controller before for looking up the brakes and it is suppossed to be the most user friendly controller. Radio controls. EATING!!! Flipping throught he overhead computer. Etc.... Flipping a switch would be fine. But I do agree with Kensai that it would be better if it were automatic, but I could deal if the cooling was suffeciant.

Old 06-16-2007, 07:15 PM
Dman98
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I never had to use the switch, I put it there as a fail safe measure. I also have a light installed, that comes on with the fan and goes off with the fan. This way I'll always know when the fan is on/off. If the low speed stops working, I'll have the high speed to get me home without the fear of overheating. If a clutch fan or factory electric fan stops working, you'll have to get it towed or risk overheating. I've never heard of anyone having any problems with the viper fan, go with whatever makes you feel comfortable.

Old 06-17-2007, 05:21 PM
cesspool
Professional

I emailed socaldak to ask about nthe viper fan (which I guess I could of done soner....) This was my Q and his reply, if anyone is intrested. Apparently the Viper Fan moves more air than my clutch.

ORIGINAL: CESSPOOL
Sam,

I'm looking at "other" cooling options for my '99 Durango with a 5.9L. I'm considering the viper fan 2 speed complete kit you have on the website for $440. Do you know how much CFM this fan moves compared to the stock clutch fan? I do a decent amount of towing with my camper or boat. I have been told that I need to be careful with going electric due to the strain the towing puts on the engine and making sure I get enough air movement. I would like to have the electric fan for the MPG/H.P. increases, but they do me no good if I overheat. I will be putting a HD clutch on the fan if I have to, but want to check with you first. The elec will obviously be quiter, but I know the HD clutch will get the job done. I don't really have any issues now, especially once I get on open road, but the stop and go with the camper/boat until that point will run me a bit warmer than I like, around 200 degrees. Which is where the High Speed would really come in handy I would assume. It isn't really an issue at all in the cooler months, but right now we are 90-95 degrees in Cincinnati, Oh area. I am going on a 4 hr trip in july and would expect about the same and I NEED to have something done. We are going to TN, and it will be hilly, hot and a 4 hr trip.

Please let me know ASAP. I saw on your site there is a 2-3 week lead time on orders, and My trip is just over a month away.

Thanks for all your help,

ORIGINAL: SoCalDak
Phil, the viper fan should do well, on a 99-- the fan is controlled by a temp controller (adjustable) to switch between hi and low speed... you should run about the same when under load as you would with a clutch fan-- and in 'traffic' actually run cooler due to the higher air volume the fan will produce.

I think it would work fine for your setup... I've got hundreds of these all over the world (a Durango in Kuwait City, Kuwait runs one-- and he's in 120 F heat-- and says that it works about as well as anything considering the conditions.)

Old 06-18-2007, 07:15 PM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

the only thing is the comment he made on recommending the product, he did not mention how well this will work on D's that do alot of towing. I assume the dude in Kuwait runs fine but it may be that he does not do any towing there.

I recommendation on this Cesspool is to ask around other durango sites that you are a member of and ask if there are any Durango users with the viper fan kit that does alot of towing. Get their responses.

Otherwise, the E-fan kits are great for owners that do very light towing or no towing.

Old 06-18-2007, 07:58 PM
cesspool
Professional

If it is more air volume being brought through, then how clould it not be better? Not that I don't agree wkith you kensai, I want some more info, but time is dwindling down on my trip...

Old 06-18-2007, 08:47 PM
Kensai
Champion

CessPool,

Your logic is correct, if the E-fan can pull the same CFM's a clutch fan can, then logically yes, E-fan should be enough. But just remember, you have to factor other things to get the heavy duty Efan install such as beefing up your electrical. If your alternator cannot handle the power requirements of the E-fan, you will have to replace that first. Alot of thinking and planning when changing out from clutch to Efan.

Since your trip is so close, don't make any quick unprepared decisions. If your D is cooling just fine, leave it be and then look into this again after your trip. Otherwise, go with a cheap light duty fan clutch. At least that will not set you back too much should you decide to convert over to Efan. I think light duty fan clutches runs around $40-$50 bucks? My severe duty clutch ran me $100. Way heavy duty but I am glad it is finally starting to break in so my fan does not roar too much.

Old 06-18-2007, 10:29 PM
cesspool
Professional

I posted on Moparts.com to see what they have to say.....

Old 06-18-2007, 10:50 PM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Where did you get your fan Ken because mine is a HD and I got it for like $66 after tax.

Old 06-19-2007, 01:29 AM
Kensai
Champion

I think I bought it from O'Reilly auto parts. If memory serves, they had a regular (light I presume), then a HD model, then a severe duty model. I bought the severe duty model. At the time, the only thing in my mind was making sure my Durango runs cool during Texas summer heat, but at the time, I did not consider the kind of noise this severe duty fan can make when starting up the engine when it is cold.Actually the first severe duty clutch was bad from the box. Never disengages. So replaced it with another severe duty clutch and this one seems to be doing what is doing. However, the severe duty model, the fan roars longer than a regular clutch I presume. But eventually it will disenage after a few miles of driving from a cold engine start. So during this time, I just baby the engine until the fan starts to disengage to save gas and wear on the engine. I can tell my new belt is being strained and starting to slip at times if I really have to hit the pedal with the clutch still locked.

Old 06-19-2007, 02:45 AM
IndyDurango
Champion

Get a $200 Mark VIII fan, cheaper than the Viper setup and pulls MORE air. You can even find them used on eBay for less than $100. Add a good stat to control the thing and you are home free.

HTH,

IndyD

Quick Reply: Viper Fan upgrade....worth it?