1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

2000 4.7 Durango fuel injector shorted PCM?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2007, 02:35 AM
v8ramair
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 4.7 Durango fuel injector shorted PCM?

I'll admit, I'm a newb when it comes to Dodge. My coworker has a 2000 4.7 Durango 4x4 that was having issues. It felt like it was missing, then threw a service engine light. It still ran though. She took it into the dealer and it took them 2 days to diagnose. They said the PCM had a misfire code on cylinder #8. They claim that the problem is that the #8injector went bad, then ended up shorting the PCM. So it's misfiring. They want $1500 + tax for a new injector + new PCM.

I'm having a really hard time believing this. She's taking her car back and I'm going to look at it. First, I'm going to check the coil and plug to make sure the obvious isn't the problem (I have a Haynes with instructions). Then, I'm probably going to replace the injector and see from there.

I have major doubts in their diagnosis because they claim that she can still drive it but it will just get worse and worse until it"might" die. How can a short get "worse and worse". If that diagnosis was true, I'd think that #8 would never fire, and she'd be running on 7 cylinders...which I know would not be "ok to drive".

Any ideas on their diagnosis? Thanks in advance.

Old 06-17-2007, 05:04 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Default RE: 2000 4.7 Durango fuel injector shorted PCM?

Mama didn't raise no stupid. [>:]

She needs to replace the spark plug. Well she should just replace all while she is at it anyway.
Second, how the hell does the dealer know that the PCM is shorted out without replacing the plug or the injector. This sounds like and bunch of crap. Have her replace the plug first. Then the enjector next if needed. Come back or get her to open an account and we can help her if needed, we can walk her through doing it herself.

Quick Reply: 2000 4.7 Durango fuel injector shorted PCM?