1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Stall Convertors!

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2007, 01:39 PM
Durango911
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stall Convertors!

I'm swapping out my 5.2 for the 5.9 this month. I currently have a crappy mopar stall convertor that I'm thinking about switching out.(2200 stall?) Anyways, I was thinking about getting a 2800 stall but I don't have any idea what brands are good. TheFastman sells Martin Saine stall convertors for $350. Has anyone ever tried one?

Old 06-17-2007, 04:32 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default RE: Stall Convertors!

Never needed one. You sound like you have a nice ride there. What have you done to your trans exactly. And also which trans are we talking about.

Old 06-17-2007, 07:13 PM
jonnymagnum
Grand Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a B&M stall converter in my old ram with a built 360 and it worked really good.

Old 06-17-2007, 08:05 PM
Durango911
Professional

I had the trans built up to handle some power and had a stage II shift kit installed. It's a 44re.

Old 06-18-2007, 01:40 AM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

Did you do anything else to the trans? First we need to know what has been totally done to give you the right advise. If you are going to build the trans you need to build it right. You need to build them together. Also I don't understand this Stage Two kit. What the hell are we talking about here?

Which Brand shift kit?
Bands and clutch pads beefed up?
Lock up torque converter?
Valve body?
Oversized TC?
Pressures?
Gearing?

And not to mention how the hell are you going to do to get this thing running without replacing some serious parts and spending some serious cash. Also is this trans going to hold up to your 5.9L conversion.

Old 06-18-2007, 03:14 AM
Durango911
Professional

The transmission was professionally built...performance clutches,modified valve body,etc...I honestly don't know what else. And when I say "Stage II" shift kit, thats what I mean...I asked for a shift kit,they installed one and on my bill it says Stage II performance shift kit.(usually stage 1 stuff is for either towing/stock vehicles) I imagine it's Transgo. What do you mean "how the hell are you going to get this running without replacing some serious parts?" I get my new engine tomorrow, I transfer parts from the 5.2 to the 5.9, install aftermarket parts on the 5.9 along with a new damper and flexplate, take out the 5.2, R&R stall convertor, install the 5.9...run it for a few weeks an then send the computer to Hughes Engines. I don't think this is as difficult as everyone thinks. It's like converting a chevy's 305 to a 350. I had my 5.2 turbo charged putting out 270+ RWHP and the trans held up. I'm not worried about a non turbo 5.9 with performance heads,cam, intake,TB, etc. I think the 44re can handle it...(if not,thats why it has a warranty!)

Old 06-18-2007, 12:49 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

Ok, thanks for the hook up. Most people around here can't do what you have already done. As I have said you are into this truck some good dollars. The computer will have to be upgraded like you said. Switching between the 5.2L and 5.9L isn't such a big deal. Mostly only just the computer. Your stall converter should work realy good on the truck with a 2800 stall I think. As for name brands for them I really can't help ya but Dan at thefastman.com is good at what he does. He has a trany guy that builds his stuff for him and from what I've seen and heared the guy is pretty good. The only way to get this ride going in my opinion is to call the trany shop that worked on your rig and see what they would put behind their trany and go from there.

Old 06-18-2007, 01:48 PM
Durango911
Professional

Alright,thanks alot. I just received my short block from Prime Performance this morning! If everything goes right, I should have it in by the end of this month or the beginning of next. (still have to order more parts!) I was going to make it a stroker but I use this SUV as a daily driver. If gas prices start to drop, I'll throw the turbo on it! I'll try to post some pics and I decided I'll probably get the convertor from TheFastman.

Quick Reply: Stall Convertors!