1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

ABS Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 12:54 PM
nbenson
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS Question

Hello all. I'm wondering how to tell if you have 4 wheel ABS in the first gen Durango. I am looking at buying a 2003 SLT Plus. I drove it this weekend, and liked it a lot. The dealer's online listing says that it has 4 wheel ABS, but I was wondering if there is an easy way to tell instead of just trusting them on that. I've been searching around for the option code from 2003, but haven't found it. From what I've read (I neglected to look Saturday) the vehicle should have a list of options somewhere, most likely in the glovebox from what I've seen here.

Anyway, thanks for your help! Since I live in MN, I'd really prefer 4 wheel ABS in the winter, though I might make due without if I have to. That'll just make my decision a little more difficult.

Old 06-18-2007, 04:10 PM
nbenson
Default RE: ABS Question

For those of you that get snow, or drive in snow, how is it with just rear ABS?

Old 06-18-2007, 05:06 PM
Durango911
Professional

I live in Michigan,plenty of snow here in the winter.I only haverear abs,seems to work fine,never had a problem. I imagine a dealership wouldn't lie about 4 wheel abs.

Old 06-18-2007, 06:47 PM
nbenson

I don't think the dealer would lie about it either, but it is a Mazda dealer, so I just don't know if they know or were just guessing since it has most everything else it could have.

Thanks for your help though, I'm definitely leaning toward buying it (the other choice is a 2002 Explorer).

Old 06-18-2007, 06:56 PM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah you don't want an exloder, get the D. I would say get the VIN and take it to your local dodge dealership and they can give you a build sheet on it that will answer all of your questions about it. I only have rear wheel ABS and I like to mess around (testing my limits and my truck's limits) and I have never had a problem the thing is awesome in the snow and I've gotten into some nasty stuff.

Old 06-19-2007, 01:54 AM
n8ech
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nebenson:
You want to get the 4 w abs. The rw abs is pretty useless. Since the 1st gen D was designed from the Dakota truck platform, it got the rwabs as standard. Ford used to put it on their vans and trucks to help keep the rear end from coming around if you had to make a panic stop while towing.
In this scenario of a panic stop, rear wheels lock up early because trailer lifts up rear of vehicle as it stops and vehicle jacknifes.

My 01 has the rear wheel system, and the few times it activated I did feel the rear wheels unlock, but you donot get any pulsing like the 4w systems.
Front wheels will lock up real easy if you stomp the pedal. When searching for my D a lot of dealers thought the D they had were 4 wheel, but most were not. Have a dealer run the VIN and they can tell you, OR look carefully behind the front wheels for the wire to the wheel sensor. A non equipped unit will have a brake line, but no sensor or wire.

If you are getting a 4x4 model, I recommend the full time 4x4 transfer case. IMO, since you paid for the extra hardware why not be able to use it 24/7. The economy difference is negliable.

Good luck in your search.

Don

Quick Reply: ABS Question