1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Engine Coolant Sensor Location

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 01:43 PM
VydorScope
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Engine Coolant Sensor Location

I read that thread, not sure that it applies. With the relay jumped, my temp is staying under 200. I do not presently tow anything, but I hope one day to be rich enough to buy something to tow [sm=smiley4.gif]

So how do I tell if the clutch is bad then?

Old 06-20-2007, 01:46 PM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are normally running hot when you are stopped (or in stoop and go traffic)but are fine at higher speeds I would be willing to bet your fan clutch is dead.

Old 06-20-2007, 01:49 PM
VydorScope
Rookie

Well the electric fan never clicks on, so when sitting idle it does start to heat up. With the electric fan on, it seems fine.

Old 06-20-2007, 05:31 PM
Mean Green
Champion

Definitely a bad fan clutch. I'll be selling mine once I get this e-fan in I've only had it for I believe less than a month and it gets the job done very well.

Old 06-20-2007, 05:32 PM
VydorScope
Rookie

OKay I am a bit confused... why would this be the fan clutch and not the temp switch?

Old 06-20-2007, 05:39 PM
Mean Green
Champion

Because if your fan clutch isn't kicking in properly then it won't have enough power to suck air through the radiator. it may spin but that doesn't mean much at all. You will know it is working when you get a good fan clutch in there trust me. I couldn't even take my D offroad with my old fan clutch I would start to overheat pretty quickly, the new one didn't let me go over 180.

Old 06-20-2007, 05:42 PM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

As stated earlier, your oem efan is never setup from factory to supplement engine cooling. It is only designed to come on/off with your A/C system. I have never seen my Efan powers on due to excessive high engine temperatures. If your engine starts to overheat, it is because your clutch fan has gone bad. The OEM efan will not provide enough air volume to keep your 5.9 cool. Trust me, I been there done that. Thus why I and mean green and others that had their fan clutch replaced are now complaining about the fan roar. But at least we know it is doing its job moving enough air across the radiator to keep it cool.

Old 06-20-2007, 05:46 PM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Mean Green

Definitely a bad fan clutch. I'll be selling mine once I get this e-fan in I've only had it for I believe less than a month and it gets the job done very well.
So you going for the Mark III fan setup? If so, let us know how it goes and how much retrofitingit requires as it came from a ford! { I dread usingparts fromFORD} But for $45, its worth a shot! Then I want to see some real results on cooling when you really put your 5.9 under alot of load like climbing hills, towing, etc...

Plus, does anyone know what power requirements the Mark series fan needs? I am sure there are some durangos that may not have the heavy duty alternators on their trucks to be able to supply this extra power.

Old 06-20-2007, 05:50 PM
VydorScope
Rookie

Okay... but the E-Fan never comes on, and I have the A/C on full time lately. So perhaps its both? The truck has served me for 170k miles with little to no trouble so I do not know much about how it works. It is only when something goes wrong you really start learning.

Mean... where did you get this clutch from and how much do they run? I think you said in another thread you paid $67, but I do not recall where you said you got it. With the E-Fan ruining it stays cool under normal driving/idling so far.

Thank you for the time your taking to answer my newb level questions! Love the truck and I plan to keep it till it has to be retired to the junk yard....

Old 06-20-2007, 05:58 PM
Mean Green
Champion

ORIGINAL: Kensai

ORIGINAL: Mean Green

So you going for the Mark III fan setup? If so, let us know how it goes and how much retrofitingit requires as it came from a ford! { I dread usingparts fromFORD} But for $45, its worth a shot! Then I want to see some real results on cooling when you really put your 5.9 under alot of load like climbing hills, towing, etc...

Plus, does anyone know what power requirements the Mark series fan needs? I am sure there are some durangos that may not have the heavy duty alternators on their trucks to be able to supply this extra power.

Well Kensai it looks like I would have to either remove this fan from it's shroud and make it fit with my overflow tank or reove the overflow altogether and get a smaller overflow and washer fluid reservoir. To keep it looking stock I really hope I can just make the e-fan fit in my OEM shroud. We'll see I guess. I maygo pick up the stuff in a few minutes herepossibly do it today.

Oh and it was only 31 bucks from the junkyard I just had to pull it myself which took all of 10 minutes.

Quick Reply: Engine Coolant Sensor Location