1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

My Latest Problem - Transimission shifting late

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2004, 12:58 AM
mickinsocal
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Latest Problem - Transimission shifting late

Back again with what has turned into a monthly headache with my 99 Durango. Just 55K miles on it, and it's been well cared for.

This week it started reving up to 3000 RPM before it shifted in the right gear. At first this was happening at around 55 MPH, then it was happening at lower speeds, 30 - 40 MPH.

As I write this, my wife is stranded. She says that it acts as if it's not in park. She says it feels like it's one gear off, and that it will not allow her to go to 'park' even though the setting shows it's in park.

Everything else that's gone wrong with this car has been a sensor of some sort. Is this too a sensor? I'm on the verge of dumping this car. Can anyone help?

Old 10-02-2004, 01:29 AM
mickinsocal
Default RE: My Latest Problem - Transimission shifting late

After reading other posts, I'm wondering if the problem could be the throttle position sensor. Does that sound logical? If so, is this an easy fix?

Old 10-03-2004, 02:40 AM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: mickinsocal

After reading other posts, I'm wondering if the problem could be the throttle position sensor. Does that sound logical? If so, is this an easy fix?
Check out this thread;

https://dodgeforum.com/tm.asp?m=71945

I would have your governor actuators checked out. This may not be as basic carowner repair procedure so you may need to take it to the dealer or someone you know that works on transmissions.

Old 10-03-2004, 02:42 AM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: mickinsocal

The only thing the throttle sensor would do for you is smooth out that rpm surging when using cruise control and can solve some engine idling issues. But I do not think it is related in any way to transmissions. Just the speed sensor.

Old 10-06-2004, 12:15 PM
kay1330
Rookie

Hey sounds like your Durango is a can of worms too. The dodge dealer did not get it right, it still stalls. I am selling mine, this thing is going to nickel and dime us to death. I have never had so many problems with any vehicle I have ever owned, maybe cause I buy nissans and toyota's, and that is what I am going to buy now, a 4runner. I feel for you and your wife,,it is not fun being stranded by a vehicle that should be good for more than 50,000 miles. Good Luck to you. Oh and my ball joints are bad too.

Quick Reply: My Latest Problem - Transimission shifting late