1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

RUMOR ABOUT FRONT END FALLING OFF

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2004, 07:08 PM
dodgemech
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: RUMOR ABOUT FRONT END FALLING OFF

See the sticky topic about this on top of the main page.

Old 12-14-2004, 06:50 PM
mopar222
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys don't feel so bad, I also have an olds 88, and one day the steering wheel cocked 20 degrees to the right. Didn't think about it, but it did feel strange. Anyways, there are 6 bolts and washers that hold the front end on. 5 of them washers rusted out and the front end was hanging on by 1 bolt!!! The dealer said the steering usually disconects at that point and you get in an accident. So don't get down on dodge. They ALL do things like this. Just be thankful that theres places like this to find out before the fact. And may front ends today are lifetime greesed, but a truck should be greeseable. Just throwing in my 2cents. PEACE

Old 12-21-2004, 12:56 AM
JoshJohnson

I posted this in a differant thread but will here too there is only a problem with certain vehicles what I was told by the service department at the local Dodge dealership was that the calibration was off on the machine that produced the ball joints for these vehicles. This being said it is only vehicles that came from that specific plant not all vehicles and if I am not mistaken you can find the info to see if your Durango is on recall through the Dodge site reflecting VIN's check it out if it is yours you will have them replaced for no charge and you should be good to go and from what I have heard the clunking noise you hear is a tell tail sign that yours is one of them.

Old 08-20-2007, 02:51 PM
wilcom
Amateur

I saw the picture and it qualifies in my book for "the front end falling off" . What do you want , the whole front end from firewall forward to separate b4 it qualifies!!!! ROTFLMAO

Old 08-20-2007, 11:24 PM
bigbaddurango
Professional

I no a guy that was running down the interstate at 70mph and lost the front passanger ball joint witch broke every thing else holding the wheel on and whent under the truck fliping him 4 times in too a gard rail he walked away but let me tell you i changed mine the next week i will try to get some pics posted on here of what was left after a short stay in the hospital he was ok

Old 03-06-2008, 07:18 PM
nim81
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

my front end has fallen out once then the 2nd front end i had tore apart while going 75mph down i-70 through kansas in the middle of nowhere then a wheel hub went out then the other and just today somthing broke and the dam durango turns left and right at the same time!!!
but i still love my dodge. even though i have no money and my mechanic just bought a new viper, huh????? does that seem fishy to you guys?

Old 03-07-2008, 11:48 AM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

dude, I know you love your durango, but 2 strikes on your front end is telling you that you may need to do a thorough inspection of your front end so you won't strike out on the 3rd time around if you are around to tell the tale.

Old 03-08-2008, 11:49 AM
ivelmonte

How can you tell if there's a problem?

Old 03-08-2008, 02:26 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

1. Uneven tire wear.
2. Have an 4 wheel aglinment.
3. Lift the front of the vehical by the frame and grasp the wheel moving it up and down, side to side, and all over and feel for wear.

These are basic maintance tasks. People just don't look for them until around 100k miles or find them when they do aglinments or other preventitive maintance.

But, the Durango's had bad ones installed in them at the production facility. People need to be aware that this problem exists and look for them pre-maturely.

Old 03-08-2008, 03:55 PM
ivelmonte

I just had a wheel alignment in November and if nothing was found wrong then it should be good then right?

Quick Reply: RUMOR ABOUT FRONT END FALLING OFF