1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Oil Sludge?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2004, 10:14 AM
emwardjr
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Oil Sludge?

Intake gasket check.

This might work for you . Take you shop vac and clean it out. Really do a good job on cleaning it. OK, hook it up to your tailpipe. Use duck tape to keep it hooked up. Now on the shop vac use the air out mode (Sear's vacs) to hook your hose up to that outlet. What you are trying to do is have the shop vac blow air up the tailpipe. OK, now go to the engine and feel around the area of the intake manifold. If the gasket is leaking you should feel some air blowing out the gasket. If so, time to replace.

Bonus, you get a clean shop vac.

Regards,

Ed

Old 05-24-2005, 01:54 PM
Saney
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Oil Sludge?

I have a 2000 Durango on it's second 4.7L engine. The first went to a blown bearing in the engine due to a lack of lubrication (mechanic's diagnosis). I was pretty good about changing the oil on a regular basis. After doing some research, I Found this info
1) According to Dodge - for the 4.7L engine with < 50K miles, it will burn 1 qt of oil every 1K miles; >50K, it will burn 1 qt of oil for every 750 miles.
2) There's an internal paper calling this a Smog-Sludge motor.
3) This engine design was based of the 2.7L engine found in the Intrepid, which has the same issue. In both engines, the channels for the oil are too small, leading to an excess of heat and rapid oil breakdown.
4) There's a class action lawsuit for the 2.7L engine.

With my new engine, I'm religious about changing the oil every 3K and the oil level is always low and the oil is always black. This engine simply cooks oil.

Quick Reply: Oil Sludge?