1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

02 r/t - looking to get new tires/wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 08:14 PM
xSTORMx
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 r/t - looking to get new tires/wheels?

I am looking to purchase new tires for my d, I am not sure what brand to get. I want something thats all terrain and for all seasons. What are good tires for this d? What type of tires does everyone have on their d? Also I am thinking about wheels too, I want something all black to match my paint.. what brand makes all black wheels? I am just looking for suggestions before going out to buy.

-storm-

Old 07-18-2007, 12:57 PM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: 02 r/t - looking to get new tires/wheels?

Go to this link:

https://dodgeforum.com/m_829407/tm.htm

This is a tire discussion with OEM size and rims tho. I am needing to buy new tires here in a couple months and have decided to buy the goodyear RSA's. Mainly because it is a good overall all season performance tire with H rating and if tire rack is accurate with their specs, this is one of the lightest tires also. I hope this may give me an added improvement to MPG as lighter tires should use less gas to turn them.

Old 07-18-2007, 06:44 PM
n8ech
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Storm:

I also am a fan of the Firestone Destination LE. A very nice tire for the price. A good blend between off road and on road.

I would not recommend the Goodyear RSA for a Durango. They are primarily a performance tire used very heavily on police and other performance vehicles. They are quite pricey and not known for long tread life.

My personal experience has been that they are not good at all in the snow either. If it does not snow where you are, that will not be an issue

Good luck with your search. Don

Old 07-19-2007, 12:42 AM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

For storm, the Michelin Cross terrain or BFG long trail may be the good choice for his all purpose and long lasting use. For me, 40-50k is more than enough for tire life as the rubber material on the tires will start to dry rot already. I don't put too many miles on my D. My 00 R/T just now turning over 82k, 60k of that is actually my driving. the initial 21k was from previous owner and I bought my D in 01. My BFG's are showing signs of wear from age as well as having 45k miles on them already which is already now beyond its treadlife rating.

The RSA goodyear are strictly performance which is the type of D I have. An R/T. Being in the DFW area, I don't worry too much about snow. Something that comes once every couple/few years. From looking at the specs from goodyear site, it says it suppose to do decent in snow/wet/dry but rated very very high in quiet ride. Tire rack says otherwise, so I may have to take tirerack's opinion. I'll know as soon as I order these tires shortly. Personally I wanted the michelin cross terrains, but budget is tight as we are expecting our second kid soon. $142 ea for Goodyears vs $190 ea for the Michelins.

Who knows, I may end up with the $103 ea Kuhmo's depending on wifey's decision if we have to cut the budget even further down

Quick Reply: 02 r/t - looking to get new tires/wheels?