1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Throttle Body spacer

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 10:27 AM
trbmbennett
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Throttle Body spacer

Excuse my ignorance, but exactly what is the throttle body spacer and what is it supposed to do? Where is it if I want to remove it and what will it help? Thanks.

Old 07-20-2007, 01:19 PM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Throttle Body spacer

If you did not buy a throttlebody spacer for your D, then you do not have to worry. The throttle body spacers do not work for our D's. These spacers mainly work for those throttlebody injection type vehicles where the fuel injectors are on the throttle body. Our fuel injectors are located deep into the intake so the air turbulence caused by the spacer will have no effect on trying to efficiently mix the fuel and air before it reaches the combustion chamber.

Those spacers are usually installed underneath your throttle body

Old 07-20-2007, 02:42 PM
Frankyoz

I would have to disagree with everyone else's opinion on the Tb spacer. I installed one on my 00 R/T a couple years ago and it increased mympg by almost .5 just thought I would throw it out there. Its not much of an increase but the Tb spacer wasnt much of an expense so its more than paid for itself over the past couple years.

Old 07-20-2007, 03:07 PM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Don't see how your spacer can increase mpg on your 5.9. There is more than enough air turbulence inside the beer keg already. And with the fuel injectors closest to the intake valve, there is no way the spacer can cause the air to mix with the fuel more efficiently to get an efficient burn.

.5 mpg is neglible and too marginable when you consider otherexternalinfluences such as grade of fuel, oils, tires, driving habits, etc.

From my experience, the only budgetable upgrades that I really see an improvement on MPG is replacing a paper air filter with a free flowing filter such as K&N and a PCM programmer that can optimize the PCM for your engine power and mileage and synthetic oil. All these combinations, I got about 2 mpg improvement overall driving.

Old 07-20-2007, 03:28 PM
trbmbennett
Rookie

Thanks. That is good information.

Old 07-22-2007, 12:13 AM
99rango

the 318 and 360 engines are very restricted cuz they git bad G/M from factory they need all theair they can gitthe T/b spacer should be used if you have an aftermarket intake it gives you more HP and alittle more MPG's if you stay off the gas. I could realy tell the diffrence at about 2700 rpm's and with simple things like a H/T programer andbig pipes to let all that air out you can make one fast suv

99' 5.2l slt 4x4
custom cold air intake,
air raid T/B spacer,
8.5mm pro. wire with cap & rotor kit
H/T programer, 3in in/out dynomax,
optima red top, 160 power stat,
Way to much to list all

Quick Reply: Throttle Body spacer