1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

I smell engine coolant inside my car...Evaporator gone bad???

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 09:07 PM
thrill15
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I smell engine coolant inside my car...Evaporator gone bad???

Hi. I have been smelling engine coolant in my car the last few days and found to have my radiator needing liquid. When I touched underneath the passanger side dashboard, it was wet. I was told it was the evaporator that needed to be replaced.

I had this piece replaced 3 years ago when hot air was blowing. At the time, it never gave me the smell or the radiator missing fluids.

Can it be the evaporator again with different symptoms? They want to charge $400 for the labor & $200 for the evaporator kit (The dealership wants $1050).

Everyone's advice is greatly appreciated.

Old 07-25-2007, 09:15 PM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: I smell engine coolant inside my car...Evaporator gone bad???

I would take it somewhere else if they cannot tell you the right part needing replacement. It sounds like your heater core hass a leak. It will cost the same in labor as the evap as they are located in the same area as each other. While they are in there have them check to make sure your evap is holding up well and change it if necessary. Make sure you get a good heater core installed too. You don't want to get in there again. $$$

Old 07-27-2007, 09:58 PM
thrill15

So whether it is the heater core or the evaporator, does the complete dashboard have to come out regardless (Meaninig an 8 hour job)?

By the way Mean Green, thanks again for providing another great answer for us non-mechanics who don't want to get shafted.

Old 07-27-2007, 10:31 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 225 Likes on 210 Posts

sounds like the heater core... I agree with Mike. usually when you smell coolant the core is leaking. and yeah the dash probably needs to come apart. I dont know of too many cars/trucks that can swap the core without yanking the dash apart.

oh yeah, welcome to df...

Old 07-28-2007, 01:39 AM
Mean Green
Champion

Yeah, too bad the last mech that did the job for you didn't recommend a new heater core with the evap. If one of mine go out I'm doing both to save myself the possible hassle later.

It is about an 8 hour job I imagine though. It took me 9 in my 92 taurus.

Old 07-28-2007, 01:47 AM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

x3

It's your heater core. And if your mechanic didn't suggest replacing BOTH the evap and the core when they were in there, get a new mechanic. The one you have does not have your best interests in mind.

Why? The evap and core are side by side and both require the same full pull out of the dash to get to them. It's an 8 hour job once to do both or an 8 hour job twice to do them seperately. The added cost to do both should have been just the extra part when they were in there the first time.

IndyDurango

Old 07-28-2007, 02:37 PM
thrill15

Thanks for all your suggestions. I have a new symptom in addition to the smelling of the engine coolant. Behindthe rear right tire, next to the muffler, I can visibly see the engine coolant coming out of a small hole. Is this also part of the heater core problem in the front of the car or isthis a new problem?

Thnsk again.

Old 07-28-2007, 03:45 PM
Mean Green
Champion

Do you have rear heat because if there is a 2nd heater core in the back that could be the issue. I'm not sure myself since I have a 00' and I only have heat up front... I woud find the exact location of the leak and once you do let us know what it is or take a pic and upload it.

Old 07-28-2007, 05:53 PM
thrill15

I just took took out the storage compartment in the trunk and there is tons of engine coolant back there. Is there a heater core back there as well? I'm assuming i might as wellreplace the evaportaor as well. Anything else i should replace while i'm in there? I'll have my buddy take a picture.

Old 07-28-2007, 06:47 PM
Mean Green
Champion

I have no clue if you have a second heater core but that would make the most sense. Another way you can see if the heater core behind the dash is leaking is to feel the passenger side floorboard. If it is wet (and smells like coolant) it is bad. You may want to pick up a Chiltons or Haynes manual for you model year and look through it as to whether you have a 2nd heater core. BTW what year do you have???

Quick Reply: I smell engine coolant inside my car...Evaporator gone bad???